We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Digital photography

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
Digital photography

Hey frozen dudes,

I'd like to visit with my son in Jan. or Feb. Was in Cold Lake, Alberta for northern lights but couldn't get good photos with my digital. Do I need to invest in a time-lapse digital before I visit? Important 'cause they're not cheap.

I from Minnesota, have driven to Alaska and back to San Diego, up to Prudhoe Bay and Barrow etc. Wouldn't dream of driving in winter, been in S.D. too long!

Thanks,

Fred

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Digital photography

Not sure how I missed this thread the first time around, but CTB, I have almost that exact same set up and here are some of the pics I got last year with a small tripod sitting on the hood of my car:

flickr.com/photos/…

You'll see on some of them it's a bit fuzzy- I either pushed too hard when taking it or someone was shaking my car (there was a lot of getting in and out- wimps), but not many of them are like that. I may have had the ISO at 800- can't recall. I'm going to make sure I do 400 next time- assuming I get a chance at something other than cloudy skies when they are out this year.

Edited: 6:24 pm, February 29, 2012
Groveland...
Level Contributor
110 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Digital photography

thanks Alaskan Tiger, I will be very happy if I can do as well as you with my lights photos and current camera. I really want to save my money to buy some ultra light backpacking gear for summer, instead of buying a new camera that will take me back to carrying added lens and weight etc although i do love photography too. I'm there for 12 days starting Sunday night the 11th of March, wish me luck!

23. Re: Digital photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, June 21, 2013