We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

northern lights and full moon

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Topic
northern lights and full moon

We are planning a trip to Anchorage for the Fur Rendevous/Iditarod and then on up to Fairbanks to see the Aurora, Ice Sculptures, etc. this March.

It looks as though the moon will be full while we are there--how much will this affect our viewing of the northern lights? I know it's hit or miss anyway, but I guess I'd be willing to wait until another year if the moon is going to really affect the viewing. If we change the dates this year, for a more favorable moon phase, we will miss most of the events we'd hoped to see!!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: northern lights and full moon

Keep your plans for the events you are hoping to take in. You'll enjoy both the Fur Rondy & th Iditarod!

If you are blessed with the northern lights, that will be a bonus. And yes, the moonlight can affect viewing especially if a weak aurora is present . . . but I have seen them even in spite of a full moon in the past in Fbanks.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,296 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: northern lights and full moon

You never know. I was at Denali NP last month Sep 11 with a full moon or very close to a full moon. The aurora was still very prominent and I not only saw it for about 90 minutes, but got some really nice photos. You just never know.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,322 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: northern lights and full moon

Good to see you fti - I wondered where you were. Now where is Maple? You both at the same convention?? :)

Michigan
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: northern lights and full moon

He's in mourning since the Yankees lost. Sorry John, couldn't resist!

Michigan
Level Contributor
442 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: northern lights and full moon

The aurora made an appearance in Anchorage during this past Iditarod and was visable despite the city lights. I did high tail it out to Eagle River though for a better viewing.

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: northern lights and full moon

Thank you all. I've heard the aurora activity may be really good this year because of the solar flares. We'll still go, I guess. But, I am pretty disappointed about the whole full moon thing. Oh well.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,322 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: northern lights and full moon

You just never know - it could be spectacular OR we could be having snow and you won't see anything - moon or aurora. Just come and have a good time! It is also the mystery of the aurora that makes it so special . . . because you just never know when it will be active! :)

Bay Area
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: northern lights and full moon

That's the feeling I've gotten. And that is why we've planned to come up when there are lots of other activities going on. I remember trying to see Denali during the summer a few years ago. Another totally random event!! :)

(We actually did finally see most of the mountain on our very last day--beautiful!!).

9. Re: northern lights and full moon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 25, 2012