We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do? What to do?

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What to do? What to do?

My husband is currently at Eielson AFB for training. I'll be there in a week to spend over two weeks there. What are the MUST DO's while we're here. Most of what we can do will have to be on the weekends. I am very interested in the Reindeer Ranch. He is interested in a guided hike/tour. That's all fine and dandy...as long as the guide as a gun. I'm kinda paranoid of the bears.

We LOVE good, non-chain food.

We would love to see the aurora lights if at all possible. where would be a good place to see them? Is there a bed and breakfast that has amazing views...or even a hotel?

Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all your y'alls time!

Jaems

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,827 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do? What to do?

Jae_mye,

Good luck with your visit to AK. AK is awesome. It will really help the posters if you keep your thoughts/questions in one thread. They'll be able to see all of the responses in one place and be able to form better suggestions for you.

2. Re: What to do? What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:43 pm, August 19, 2011
Edited: 1:43 pm, August 19, 2011
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do? What to do?

Spacefry... I believe the OP said Eielson AFB, not Elmendorf. So they'd be looking for Fairbanks activities, not South Central.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do? What to do?

Riverboat Discovery

University of AK - museum and large animal research place.

Creamer Field - lots of birds will be arriving and it has some great walks.

If you have a weekend, I would head to Denali Park - lots to see and do, especially if you haven't been to Alaska before.

No need for bear paranoi - they are busy filling up on berries for their winter snooze - just be wise if hiking.

What other interests do you have?

Are you staying on base or in a Fairbanks hotel?

Restaurants - are you just eating dinner out or looking for all kinds of meals?

Some of my favorities: Lavelle's Bistro, Pike's Landing, Turtle club (prime rib place), Gambardella's pasta bella. Some great Thai restaurants - Thai House and Bahn Thai which are downtown and then Lemongrass, closer to the University. Cookie Jar - really like their breakfasts. Chowder House for lunch . . . Gallo's for Mexican. Those are the first that come to mind. :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do? What to do?

There are some Reindeer just down the road from Base at the Santa Clause House.

You might want to wonder over to MWR they have specials on many of the tourist traps here http://www.eielsonforcesupport.com/ITT.html

If they is not enough you guys head on into Fairbanks and go to the Morris Thompson Cultural and Visitors Center it has some cool things to see and you can get lots of information of what to do here. http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org/

Try the Pump House Restaurant, for lunch Chowder House, Breakfast Sam's Sourdough Cafe.

The Lights might be a bit tricky but who knows that might make a showing very late at night.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,555 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do? What to do?

Yup they did, sorry about that. The reindeer farm threw me I was thinking Palmer from the get go....sorry for the confusion. I am on my phone and once I go to reply on the mobile site it takes you to a new page so you lose the ability to reference the OP.

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do? What to do?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's a little more info on us:

We love the outdoors. We love animals. My husband is a F-16 pilot, so he really doesn't fear much. He'll try anything. Not me. I like to watch. I'm a huge fall/Christmas guru, so I'm guessing we'll check out what North Pole as to offer.

We are staying on base throughout the week, but in hotels on the weekends. Labor Day weekend we'll actually go visit Anchorage.

As far as what we like to eat or what we are looking for, ANYTHING. We love to try new things. We love breakfast and desserts! Haha...We're also fans of good ole' comfort food. We'll probably look into a really nice restaurant a couple of times for a good dinner.

We're from Memphis, so little hole in wall food places tend to have the best food here. That's what we like. Local secrets, I guess.

Thanks agin for all the help!

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do? What to do?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's a little more info on us:

We love the outdoors. We love animals. My husband is a F-16 pilot, so he really doesn't fear much. He'll try anything. Not me. I like to watch. I'm a huge fall/Christmas guru, so I'm guessing we'll check out what North Pole as to offer.

We are staying on base throughout the week, but in hotels on the weekends. Labor Day weekend we'll actually go visit Anchorage.

As far as what we like to eat or what we are looking for, ANYTHING. We love to try new things. We love breakfast and desserts! Haha...We're also fans of good ole' comfort food. We'll probably look into a really nice restaurant a couple of times for a good dinner.

We're from Memphis, so little hole in wall food places tend to have the best food here. That's what we like. Local secrets, I guess.

Thanks agin for all the help!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do? What to do?

I was in San Antonio a couple of years ago it was like 104F there. We just checked out my old stamping grounds Fort Sam Houston and drove to North Padre Island.

As for driving to Anchorage is there a real good reason for that? You could use the same drive time and go to Valdez..

"My husband is a F-16 " I big thanks for his service and I big thanks for your sacrifice .

Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
262 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do? What to do?

Where is Valdez? What's there to do? No real reason for Anchorage other than its a bigger city. I figured it would offer a lot to do/see.