We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aurora Viewing

Fair Oaks...
Level Contributor
365 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Aurora Viewing

Seeing the Auroras is on my Bucket list - I know it's an iffy proposition due to weather but I have to try - Is there a web site like NOAA that predicts Aurora's? ALSO do I need to buy special warm clothes just for 1-2 nights ? Can I combine a cruise AND Northern Light viewing? Thanks for the help,

Traveling Otter

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Aurora Viewing

Hi, welcome to the forum. There is really no reliable site that predicts auroras. You'll find some links on this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60826-i1068-k3877…

It's *possible* to see the Lights during a cruise in late August or in September, but don't count on it. You'd have to be very lucky. You have a better chance if you're up in Fairbanks instead of on a cruise, since it's much further north, but there still isn't a lot of darkness at that time of the year.

Mentioned in this post
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aurora Viewing

MM's right, no reliable long term (more than 2-4 days) prediction sites out there. It used to be, before the deep solar minimum, the Univ of AK/Fairbanks' Geophysical Institute had decent forecasting http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast . I used that site about 3-4 mos out for my Mar 08 trip and was very pleased with the success/results of the trip. Since then, however, not so much.

For short term forecasting based on imminent solar winds and surface explosions, I have found www.spaceweather(dot)com to be good.

You don't mention when you're thinking about traveling to Alaska to see the aurora, so keep in mind that from probably mid to late April through mid August the nighttime darkness is not favorable for viewing. And yes, the weather (as in clouds) will come into play regardless of when you are thinking about it.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
3. Re: Aurora Viewing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 07, 2012