We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

Mississauga, Canada
11 posts
Save Topic
Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

Hello Friends,

We will have a family from Europe and we going for our dream trip.

We (4 adults and 2 children) are going on a land/cruise tour with Princess Cruises. It starts on June 29. We'll be landing in Fairbanks around 2:30 on 27/6/10 - so we will need to find accomodation and things to do for 2 days.

Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Marek

Greatland Taxi and Tours Service
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours
Alaska Skies Aurora Tours LLC
Night Tours, Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Airlink Shuttle and Tours
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours, Day Trips
Hansen's Alaskan Adventures
Multi-day Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

>>Besides the paydirt they give you at El Dorado is seeded and you will find gold in the pan.

Of course you will find gold. IMHO that is the whole purpose of the "tour" - to "find" gold then spend half of the "tour" time in the gift shop while they sell you everything to put your gold in.

I even wrote to the company about my experience and never heard back from them. I think they were too embarrassed to reply. I also talked with one of the woman who gave the tour about it. She quickly distanced herself from the operation saying she was an "independent contractor" and "the tourist season is short." Poor excuses unfortunately.

At least I can let others know how I feel as others on this forum do. Then posters can decide if they want to do something like that or not.

ces61, you can do either the Riverboat Discovery or the Museum of the North on your own. A public bus goes to the University, where the Museum of the North is located. Not sure how to get to the Riverboat Discovery unless you take a taxi.

Mentioned in this post
El Dorado
El Dorado
54 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
Riverboat Discovery
Riverboat Discovery
1,563 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

>>Yes, I rented 2 cabins. #1 on Trip Advisor site. I have a question.

I trust you don't put too much weight on TA reviews. Long history of fake reviews with many establishments. Not that it is true in the case of whatever you booked. But beware.

>>Train arrive about 12.15 as per fti. I am thinking about booking shuttle for that day as well. Where should we go.

www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/loader.cfm…

There are 1pm and 2pm shuttles to Eielson. And there are 3pm and 5pm shuttles to Tek. If it were me, I would probably book the Eielson shuttle in advance. You can always get off and catch a different shuttle back to the entrance. But the area between Tek and Eielson is prime wolf and bear habitat, plus has some great areas for hiking.

Edited: 4:15 pm, June 01, 2011
Mississauga, Canada
11 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

Thank you fti. I booked it. First time using site so I am learning.

We will be for a few hours in Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan. Schould I rent car in this places?. Any interesting activities in this places?.

fti, would you suggest something.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Marek

Mentioned in this post
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

I don't think I would rent a car in these places as they are smaller.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

Renting a car in Juneau and/or Skagway is definitely a good alternative to an expensive tour for your family.......

In Juneau you could drive out to Mendenhall Glacier, drive out Gold Creek to the Last Chance Mining Museum, hike to the falls from the end of the road there, drive out to Eagle Beach for a picnic and let the kids run free on the beach, stop by Shrine of St Terese, back in town stop by the fish hatchery, any of the museums, drive the road south to Sheep Creek to see if the salmon are spawning, just a few ideas......You would need to reserve the car ahead of time.....Rent a Wreck is the only agency that delivers to the dock.......

With a rental car in Skagway you could drive the same general route on the highway that the bus and train tours follow and you would have the freedom to stop whenever you wanted.......the highway crosses over the border into Canada, so you would need your passports.......since there are a limited number of rental vehicles available in Skagway that would need to be booked ahead of time, too........

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Skagway
Skagway
Alaska
36. Re: Fairbanks, Alaska - What would be the best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 08, 2012