We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairbanks in October

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
2 posts
Save Topic
Fairbanks in October

Hi

I was planning on visiting fairbanks in mid October. could anyone tell me what i can expect (temperature, day light hours etc). If visiting the area at this time of year doesn't sound to smart please let me know. also if anybody could recommend any activities around that time of year (is it possible to visit the arctic circle that time of year?) it would be great.

Thanks

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
117 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairbanks in October

hello, we just got back from Alaska. We spent 3 days in Fairbanks...to be honest with you we didn't find very much to do there. Weather was GREAT (wish we had got some snow). We went to the Chena Hot Springs (were not very impressed). We staied in Fairbanks with the hope to see the Aurora Borealis....3 nights up there and NOT luck :( I bet if you go during the winter time there are more things to do with snow all around. Enjoy!!! Alaska is beautiful!!!

Anchorage, AK
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairbanks in October

Hello,

What is it you are hoping to see on your trip to Fairbanks during mid-October? It's not the best time to visit as far as weather goes, since it will be late fall or early winter and the fall foliage will be gone, there won't be enough snow for decent skiing, if there is snow at all, and it's possible there could more rainy days than clear days. The good news is prices are cheaper for hotels, rental cars at this time because the summer visitors are gone, but many of the visitor attractions are closed. I lived in Fairbanks for many years and then moved south to Anchorage so I am familiar with the weather at this time of year and still keep in touch with friends and relatives there. Yesterday, the temperature was 45-50 degrees, mostly cloudy skies, which is actually a bit warmer than normal for this time of year, although with the warmer temperatures we have been experiencing in Alaska over the past several years, it's hard to say what's normal. I just pulled up some weather records for Oct 16 of last year in Fairbanks to give you an idea of what you might expect. The temperature range was 27-33 degrees on that day and there was measurable snow recorded. Total sunlight was 9 1/2 hours which would make the sunrise about 8:30-8:45am and sunset about 6pm-6:15pm. Actual times weren't listed so this is a calculated guess based on sunrise/sunset now and the amount of light lost each day-6 1/2 minutes. I'm a weather enthusiast if you hadn't guessed!

As for things to do during mid-October, I know that the University of Alaska Museum is open year round and it is a world reknown museum that I highly recommend.

I just remembered that this year for the first time in many years, the Alaska Federation of Natives Annual Conference is being held in Fairbanks and I double-checked the dates which are October 17-22. This event brings several thousand people every year to the conference and they are expecting at least 2500 delegates. This would definitely make it difficult for obtaining a hotel room, unless you have already made your reservation. I would go the week after if you still plan on going in October. Be sure to check out the northern lights late at night if you can get away from the city lights. Fairbanks is an awesome place to view the northern lights in the winter, and Chena Hot Springs is a good place to view them as well.

Hope this helps you in your trip planning.

Arctic Traveler

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,992 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairbanks in October

Hello! Arctic Traveler gave you wonderful advice - the only thing I wanted to add is that you might want to go on a dog sled ride - that would be fun, too. It just began snowing in Fairbanks yesterday . . . and it is snowing this morning where I live. If you need more suggestions, just let us know. Happy Travels! :)

4. Re: Fairbanks in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, May 22, 2009