We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do close to The Princess Lodge

Which Fairbanks hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
naples fl
Level Contributor
249 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
What to do close to The Princess Lodge

We are staying at the Princess Lodge on Pikes Landing Road and have a day to spend in Fairbanks before our cruise tour in late August. Since we don't have a car, any suggestions within walking or by public transportation for things to do? Are one of the gold mining places convenient to our location? Thank You.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do close to The Princess Lodge

Hi, welcome to the forum.

"Are one of the gold mining places convenient to our location?"

No, they're a few miles outside of town. You could take a shuttle, or better still, rent a car for the day so you can get a lot more done.

I believe your lodge is near the airport, and I can't think of anything around there except the Riverboat Discovery, which is probably part of your cruisetour.

You could go by bus to Pioneer Park or the U. of Alaska Museum of the North, though you might prefer shuttle or taxi.

If you don't want to rent a car, what I'd suggest is the city tour in the morning (includes Museum & Pipeline), maybe followed by a gold mine tour in the afternoon, then maybe Pioneer Park's Salmon Bake for dinner, see the displays & the Palace Theatre show. Here are some ideas: www.alaskatravel.com/fairbanks/tours.html (I'm not promoting that company, just giving you ideas. You can google for more)

naples fl
Level Contributor
249 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do close to The Princess Lodge

Thanks Maple!

North Pole, Alaska
Level Contributor
127 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do close to The Princess Lodge

If it's not already a part of your package, you can catch a shuttle to the Salmon Bake adjacent to Pioneer Park. (http://www.akvisit.com/salmon.html) After a delicious all you can eat meal, wander through Pioneer Park and Gold Rush Town. There are shops, museums and also the Palace Theater as mentioned above (http://www.akvisit.com/palace.html)

Also, keep your eyes to the sky! We've had some of our best aurora displays in late August, since darkness comes back then.

Enjoy your trip!

~Susan

naples fl
Level Contributor
249 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do close to The Princess Lodge

thanks susan..think we might rent a car for the day and just explore..

5. Re: What to do close to The Princess Lodge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, October 23, 2009