We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping- Horses-ATV's

DiamondGirl419
Level Contributor
20 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping- Horses-ATV's

Hi everyone...

While we have most of our upcoming trip to Fairbanks in June planned out for the 4 of us, ( such as Gold Dredge Tour/Discovery Riverboat/University Museum/Chena Hot Springs) there will be a few days here and there that my husband and son will be fishing all day.

I will have to find something to do with my teen daughter in addition to other things that I have scheduled with her. So, I would like to stay local to our hotel (Alaskan Alpine Lodge near the airport)and do some shopping/movies with her. Can you recommend a mall/malls...what stores do they have...which one is the biggest mall?

Can you recommend a good horseback riding outfit in or around Fairbanks since she also wants to do that, as well as a good ATV outfitter?

(We've previously done the horseback riding, ATV/Fishing/whitewater rafting things in HealyDenali/Glenallen/Homer/Coopers Landing/etc on previous trips, so are no stranger to them!)

Many thanks for your help. We can't wait to come back to Alaska!!!

Ward, AR
Level Contributor
878 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

haven't done these tours, so can't really give a recommendation. just looked and found some options of what you were considering at explorefairbanks.com.

there are suggestions under what to do > backcountry adventures for heavyhorsefarm.com and arcticatvtours.com

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

Well, Fairbanks is certainly not a thriving shopping area, though it has gotten more stores in the past few years. The Regal Cinema is located on Airport Way . . . and there is a small strip mall near there.with Gottshalks being the main dept. store there. The largest Mall is on College . . . but I want to say it only has something like 10-12 stores, so not much there. The newest shopping area has the Old Navy, Barnes & Noble, etc., and that is just another strip area. You could always plan a spa day or movie and lunch - many good places to eat out. You could stop for ice cream at Hot Licks on College near University or the Coldstone Creamery. Hopefully that would be enough for your teen - just depends what all she is into. Not sure about horseback riding or ATV - hopefully, our local Fairbanks expert will hop on and provide some additional information for you. Good luck! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

Will you have a car? If so I also recommend the Great Alaska Bowl Company, on your side of town. When you go up to the college to our Museum of the North, you can also stop at the nice viewing area up there. You can see the Alaska Range and sometimes Denali if it is clear. If you go out north east of town a few miles, there is a nice pipeline viewing station, really, more interesting in person then it sounds. Downtown is the log cabin visitor's center and the Public Lands Information Center. We really don't have malls compared to lower 48 standards. You might find lunch on the banks of the Chena River from Chena Pump House nice. You'll see it from the Discovery River Boat as well. Have fun.

DiamondGirl419
Level Contributor
20 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

thanks everyone...yes I will have a rental car, so getting around will be no problem.

I will certainly look into everyone's suggestions....can't wait until June gets here!!!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

Me neither - love June! :)

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
82 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

If you are looking for malls I would fly to Anchorage. Fairbanks has tiny strip malls or box stores. You could try the downtown shops for an afternoon. Check out the website explorefairbanks run by the Fairbanks Convention and Visitors Borough, a non profit, for thing to do. We all can't wait til June!

7. Re: Shopping- Horses-ATV's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 22, 2009