We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fair or no fair

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Fair or no fair

Any information on a large fair?

It is held in Aug.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fair or no fair

It's not as large as the state fair in Palmer, but here is the info that you want: www.tananavalleyfair.org Hope that helps you! :)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fair or no fair

We loved the Alaska State Fair in Palmer. This was in September....early September as I remember.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fair or no fair

Coalminer or Puter - how long does it take to see the state fair in Palmer? Couple hours, or all day? We're planning to stop in there the last week in Aug.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,075 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fair or no fair

Well, you can spend as much or as little time as you wish....depending upon what you are interested in. I think we were there for about three or four hours. We were interested in the livestock and agriculture parts of it, and the crafts. We went from there to the musk ox farm, which is a lot of fun, and I spent too much on a lovely head scarf thing which the native women knit from yarn made from the underhairs of the musk ox, which are combed out and actually sent to Peru to be spun into yarn. Softer than cashmere.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fair or no fair

Hello again! Well, inspite of living up here (seems forever), I haven't been to the State Fair in Palmer . . . just seems a bit too crowded for us! :) Tanana Valley Fair would be easy to see in a day or the highlights in a few hours. If you do go, make sure you try out some of the really good fair food - there are usually 2 places I just love to get their food. One place (a little red caboose) that sells incredible halibut tacos. The other sells pitas stuffed with crab, shrimp, etc., which is absolutely delicious. Have fun! :)

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fair or no fair

Thank You Coalminer for the information

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fair or no fair

Coalminer - Where and When is the Tanana Valley Fair? I want to find that red caboose!!! Do they have veggies as large as the state fair?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fair or no fair

Never mind! Just saw your link - unfortunately it's before we arrive. My only hesitation about the state fair in Palmer is the crowds. :( May try to check out the giant veggies elsewhere.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,283 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fair or no fair

Just remember, crowds to Alaskans are different than crowds to other people from the lower 48 - really! You really should see the mega vegetables - they are amazing. :)

10. Re: Fair or no fair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 01, 2009