We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bypassing I95 south of washington

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
403 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Bypassing I95 south of washington

have driven several times from new york to south carolina passing around washington on the east beltway. as soon as we get south of washington on 95 we get absolutely smeared in traffic delays which may reflect construction or just volume. this time we are headed down on christmas day. does it pay me to swing over to US 301 and follow it down to north of fredericksburg? And, if it does, how do i get there from the east beltway? appreciate your suggestions.

Edited: 9:15 pm, December 22, 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
403 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

what I have learned -

each state has a 511statename site of varying complexity. still can't figure out all the Virginia icons.

there is no traffic on Christmas morning anywhere, none zero. I wish Christmas came several times a year.

i sailed through new York city, actually took the Baltimore Washington parkway without incident. encouraged, I then continued straight through washiington on 295 - again no traffic but a horrid little road that must be a nightmare any other day of the year.

Virginia is big in the north south orientation.

despite my printed maps no traffic in the construction zone south of Washington either. moved so quickly I changed motel reservations and got an extra fifty miles in. maps stored in the glove box for a trip later this year.

finding a decent open dining venue in south Carolina on Christmas is a fool's errand. even the Asiatic oriented places were closed. only thing open - waffle houses and the scattered mcdonalds.

Georgia is filled with state troopers in cars with no front markings or visibars, might as well be unmarked. they were everywhere, at least a dozen in the 110 miles.

thanks again, good health for the new year.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
484 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

Next time try 495/95 instead of 295. Mo better

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
403 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

we usually use the east beltway 495 around Washington north and south bound, just decided to try 295 because there was zero traffic. we got away with it this time, would not ever plan on trying it again (except maybe on next Christmas :) ).

Level Contributor
1,140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

Queen, glad you had a good trip and no traffic! Have a Happy New Year!

Bunker Hill, West...
Level Contributor
83 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

We moved away from I-95 area because we couldn't bear the traffic. You may try I-81 s and then I-77 S, which will pass through Columbia SC. From New York, NY to Columbia, SC is approximately 11 hours. We live in WV and used this route to Disney World this past Dec, to avoid traffic on I-95 in VA. It's much faster in time, though longer in miles.

16. Re: Bypassing I95 south of washington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 23, 2015