We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NYC to Brookline without a car?

Which Brookline hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
388 reviews
Save Topic
NYC to Brookline without a car?

Hello - I just started planning a visit to Brookline to see some friends and am trying to figure out how to get there. Is it practical to take the train from NYC to Boston and then a bus or train to Brookline or is it preferable to drive up and have a car? Sorry for the basic question - haven't been outside of Boston much up there!

Thank you.

8 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,401 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

It is practical. Brookline is on the Green Line so you'll need to mske some switches, but certainly doable. By the way, Brookline is about as close as you can get to being in the city without actually being in the city.

Edited: 10:07 pm, December 23, 2012
Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

If your friends have an extra space then I'd consider driving up. No over night parking in brookline but there are lots.

Getting from Brookline to Boston is easy enough via the t, but a car would make getting to such places as Lexington and concord easier.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
13,274 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

If you own a car then definately see if your friends have parking. I visit there once a year and there is parking at the address off street and sometimes I have just parked on the street. Once you are there is certainly is easy to get around without the car however. But I find getting to Brookline quite complicated and usually have to call for final directions to the address so it would be ideal if you could arrive in the city and then have someone come pick you up. Have fun.

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

As CapeCodCharlie says, if you have a car, I'd just drive up. You won't need a car once here if you're going into Boston, but if you want to go elsewhere, a car is convenient.

Parking is the key though. Ask your friends if there is a space available.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,306 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

It really depends on exactly where they are in Brookline. Some locations are very convenient to the T. Some aren't. As others stated, parking availability is a big factor.

To see public transportation directions, use maps.google.com Click the train icon and it will plot public transportation directions from NYC (or even from your home). It will give you detailed options for getting to your friends house using the T from Boston, and also give you an overview of how long the entire trip will take.

Shanghai Region...
Level Contributor
14 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

It's definitely easy to get to Brookline from the train station or bus station. I'm surprised at how many people are promoting the car. Worst case scenario you take a taxi, but as someone else mentioned most of Brookline can be accessed in an around the T. Look into taking the Megabus -- there is wifi on the bus and is cheaper. There is even a bus that drops off on the D line (which is what line Brookline is on), so you wouldn't even have to transfer. It's called "http://www.worldwidebus.com/" check it out.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

I think that your plans for the time you are in Brookline are the key to deciding whether to drive or use public transportation. Do you plan to spend most of your time in Boston / Brookline / Cambridge? If so, I think you can probably get around just fine on public transit. Ask your friends how close they are to the green line and bus routes. Do you plan to visit places outside Boston? Will you do so with your friends? In their car? If you'll be sightseeing on your own outside Boston (Concord/Lexington, Plymouth, for example), then I think driving is a good idea, but otherwise I'd stick with the train or bus from NYC.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
320 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NYC to Brookline without a car?

Thanks so much for all this advice. I thought it was much more suburban up there. I'm going to look into the parking situation and follow the other great leads you have given me.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Reply to: NYC to Brookline without a car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Brookline
More Brookline Topics