We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vancouver, WA upcoming visit - seeking "local" insight

Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Vancouver, WA upcoming visit - seeking "local" insight

Hello friendly Vancouver locals!

My family is planning to visit your city from March 9-19, 2007. We will be visiting to get a "feel" for local neighborhoods, especially those with trees! We're travelling with our two daughters, ages 15 and 12, so we'd also like to visit some schools to get a sense of their individual cultural climates (Vancouver School of Arts & Academics, Battle Ground HS, Skyview HS, and others...) I've prepared myself by reading much objective material from the internet, what I'm seeking is simply your personal opinions/ideas/insights as to the areas we may want to consider exploring on this trip. We hope to return this summer for a much, much longer stay. We are a progressive, liberal family and want to expose our teenage daughters to a creative, supportive and beautiful environment. From previous visits to WA and OR we know your area has much to offer (magnificent beauty, down-to-earth people, great beer, coffee, and food), we are just unfamiliar with your particular city and the insight only people who live there can subjectively offer.

We'll be staying at the Residence Inn, Vancouver (thanks to tripadvisor advice!) which seems like a good, central place from which to visit the area. I've been reading Portland Forums so I thank you for all the info you've shared there, and thank you now, in advance, for your help with our upcoming Vancouver trip.

Vancouver, Wa.
2 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Vancouver, WA upcoming visit - seeking "local" insight

I moved to Vancouver in 1999 from PDX/Beaverton area. The commute is tolerable. As far as dining goes, east vancouver and the Fishers Landing area has added two unique restaurants (Roots and 360 Pizzeria) and a whole bunch of chain restaurants (Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, Sweet Tomatoes..) If you like thai or vietnmese (Arawan Thai or Green Paypaya) are both good. They are in strip malls, but that should not discourage you from going there. As to schools. My sons are 13 and 15 and have attended Fishers Landing Ele, Shahala MS, and MT.View HS. I specifically moved to Fishers Landing because those schools are consistent top performers and the teachers are great. The new Union High School is going to be fantastic with a 4 smaller schools within a school option (i think they include in part, business/international and Art/Languages). That may be an alternative to Vancouver School of Arts and Academics. Battleground is strong, but commute is awful, plus they have a tough time passing levies. Salmon Creek is great too, but traffic is worse than east Vancouver in my opinion. If you are intested in Union High School, make sure you are in their boundary, I hear for the first two years they will not be offering boundary exceptions. Good LUck

Level Contributor
2 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Vancouver, WA upcoming visit - seeking "local" insight

I work for the Evergreen School District in East Vancouver. I would recommend us and also Camas a lovely town to the east of Vancouver. Both school systems are excellent. As far as, schools go, I would not choose Portland unless you are considering private school. The system has been in a mess for many years with teachers being laid off often. The School of Arts is good, Evergreen schools, however has a strings program and also excellent band programs. A new school is being built called Union High which you may want to look at.

23. Re: Vancouver, WA upcoming visit - seeking "local" insight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, August 15, 2009