We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Savannah

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a weeks trip in Sept and are in ned of some tips and advice. I have been wondering if staying on Tybee is an option with perhaps travelling in of a aytime and of an evening ?

Really looking forward to walking around your city it looks full of charm and very distintintive from other cities we have visited. Are there any "must do's" while we are there for example are there any river cruises

looking forward to your suggestions

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Savannah

Tybee is only about an easy 17-20 mile drive into Savannah. It will quiet as the Labor Day weekend is considered the end of the season. Be sure and get an ocean front room.

Check out other postings as for things to do in Savannah. On Tybee, there's not much to do except walk on the beach, eat and go to the Lighthouse. Fort Pulaski is just a short distance away and well worth visiting if you are interested in historical forts.

Have you thought about staying in the Historic District and just going down to Tybee for a day on the beach? Unless you just especially want to be on the beach, I think you would have a much more interesting and fun time if you stayed in Savannah. Of course, that's just my opinion, but there is so much to see in Savannah. And yes, there is a boat cruise.

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Savannah

Aileen,

many thanks for the advice and yes we have considered staying in the HD and I think we may consider that again given your remarks that there might not be much to do on Tybee, as one of our main enjoymnts is having a nice meal of an evening seeing life go by and enjoying a nice drink aftrwards which by the sounds of things HD may be the better choice and head down to the beach on the odd day

any ideas hre I can find out more about the river cruise ?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Savannah

check out this site. River tours are listed over to the left along iwth other activities.

www.riverstreetsavannah.com/info_pages.php…

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Savannah

The HD is an excelent area for a nice dinner outside and people watching, it is one of our favorite activities.

Plan on walking a good bit, it is the best way to see Savannah. Tour one or two of the restored homes, not the Mercer/Williams house but one of the real museum type houses.

A trolley tour is a nice idea too for a good historical overview then you can walk back to areas you want to see more closely.

It will probably still be hot by most peoples standards but the weather gets really nice about then.

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Savannah

Briano,

sounds right up our street, this is one of the reasons why we think TA is so essential when planning trips, kind people like yourselves taking time out to help visitors

6. Re: 1st time to Savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, August 24, 2009