We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip review

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip review

I want to thank everyone that helped me figure out how to fit the most into my day in Savannah. My boyfriend and I were in Hilton Head for the week and decided to go to Savannah for the day.

We got a pretty early start on the road by 8:30 and took I-17 to savannah it took us 45 minutes to an hour to get to the visitors center. My plan was to take the Southern Belle tour since I had seen it recommended on a post on this board, but she was not there the morning that we were in town. Well in looking for her I lady named Micky started assisting us and we decided to do her tour with Olgethorpe tours and what a great decision that was! She directed us to their parking lot, and took us on a guided tour pointing out so many intersting facts about the city. We stopped at the Cathedral to John the Baptist and finished the tour at City Market. It was the best spent $10 because they offer shuttle services to different points all over the historic district, and instead of waiting for the shuttle to show up you can call them and let them know where you are and they will move that stop up on their circuit. I really think that the shuttle is the only reason we were able to fit so much into our day.

When the tour was over we tried to go to 1st African Baptist church but we missed the 11:00 tours but decided to go back for the 3:00 ( I will go into more detail later). We decided to head to the Civil Rights Museum, and found it to be very informative and have great memoriablia from such a tumultous time in american history. It was interesting to see how Savannah's civil rights movements parrarelled some other southern cities.

After the Museum we headed to Mrs. Wilkes. ONE WORD! WOW! When we got there, there was a small line a tour bus was just being seated so we waited a few minutes. Well I was a l little concerned when I picked Mrs. Wilkes because my boyfriend is a bit of a finicky eater and does not eat beef or pork so I was worried that he might have a hard time finding things. Well was I wrong. I have not seen a spread like that since I was a little girl at my grandma's house for thanksgiving. Every thing I had was great, and I could do a review on just the pulled pork and lima beans! I would tell anyone who is even near Savannah to head to Mrs. Wilkes, it was the highlight of our day!

After rolling out of Mrs. Wilkes we walked over to get some Pictures of the Mercer house. I decided to coincide with my visit that I would read Midnight in the garden of good and evil, so I really wanted to have a visual of the house to go along with the book. (I try to find a book related to the place that I am vacationing to get more engaged in my setting) The Mercer house is beautiful, but I was a bit to frugal to pay $14 per person for the tour.

After leaving the House we strolled through a couple of the squares and headed for one of the shuttle pick up loacations. We called and they were picking us up in literally 5 minutes. We headed back over to city Market, took a quick look around and headed for the 1st african baptist church for its tour. I would recommend visiting this church, all they ask for is a donation and it was fabulous. Our guide was a 18 year old college student named Johnny and he was an wonderful ambassador for the church. They are the oldest Black church in continuous operation in america. They have a beautiful sanctuary and a lot of history. I would highly recommend a visit. The tour is no more than 30 minutes and is well worth the time.

We were back on the shuttle and head to the Owens Thomas house for their last tour of the day and are very glad that we made it. I have visited old homes in numerous cities but I have to say that this was the first that did not feel like a museum and actually like it was someone's home. Our docent was Lola and she had been working at the house for over 20 years and was very knowledgeable.

We caught the shuttle one more time and headed to the car for dinner at Uncle bubba's Oyster house. I was not impressed at all. I should have taken the advise from those on the board that said it ws not worth the drive. I had the seafood pot pie and my boyfriend had the scrimp and grits. Our dessert was pretty good, but it did not make up for the rest of the meal. It was very much a dissapointment.

Overall we had a great day and I can't wait to come back! thanks again to everyone that gave me info on planning my day!

Felicia

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip review

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out on your Savannah trip. It sounds as if you made pretty good use of your limited time.

Maybe the next time that you are down this way (and hopefully in the spring) you will be able to see more of the place. It's difficult in just one day to see enough to really appreciate what Savannah has.

Aileen

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip review

Thanks for taking the time. I am sure this report will be helpful to many.

England
Level Contributor
475 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip review

All in all it sounds like you had a wonderful day out in Savannah .

All I will say is I dont think it will be your one and only visit .

Next time spend a few days in Savannah

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip review

Thanks again to all of you for your help. Harley you are correct I am already trying to figure when I can come back for long weekend!!

England
Level Contributor
475 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip review

Feliciab625

I have already booked my return to Savannah for summer 2007 .

Savannah sure has got some thing to draw me back again all the way from England I have been over 5 times now & have to say if it was possible I would move here with out hesitaion .

Next time you stay in Savannah take a trip to Bonventra cemetry

( spelt wrong ) . But you would need to make it a long weekend or minimum 4 day stay ...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip review

Harley... I want to go to st Bonaventure, Tybee, and the art museum. I also want to eat at vinny van gogo. I did not get to really explore river street, and would really like to have dinner at the Pink house. I do not think I will have any trouble filling a long weekend. I can't wait to go back!!!!

Felicia

Calgary, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip review

If you take a tour with Oglethorpe tours as you suggest, did you say that they have a parking lot?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
377 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip review

Jonibean,

Oglethorpe tours does have a parking lot, and I repeat the pick up shuttle service was incredible! Have a great time!

Felicia

9. Re: Day Trip review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 pm, August 18, 2009