We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,475 posts
166 reviews
Taxis

I was wondering if there is a good, reliable taxi service in the historic district. We had a terrible time in Charleston with taxis not showing up or showing up much later then promised. Is there a recommended company to use?

Also, what is the situation with Uber there?

I have read about the pedicabs, but for a longer ride we may prefer a car.

Thank you.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Taxis

As you have probably read, the HD is only about a mile square. Most people walk to most everywhere. Uber is available but have not heard plus or minus on their service here other then they have drivers. Pedicabs are mostly used for rain, heat & late night. Yellow Cab is the largest.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,475 posts
166 reviews
2. Re: Taxis

Thank you. Per my other post, I am likely going to try the new sandfly BBQ location and was advised to take a taxi back to the Planters Inn where I'm staying afterwards. Just wanting to understand my options.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Taxis

Planters Inn area is fine . it's the area in the Victorian District ( SandFly BBQ ) after dark that is more iffy. About 11/4 mile from your hotel.

England
Level Contributor
506 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: Taxis

Is the walk to the sand fly Safe during day time from the direction of Forsyth Park or would it be best to drive and park up ?

We really want to see this BBQ diner ,

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,761 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Taxis

Walking in the HD is fine.

Walking outside the HD can be sketchy.

I'd probably walk back at night but on a travel forum I'm going to give cautious advice.

A pedicab is not an option for the ride back because they don't travel outside the HD.

Your options are -

Go for lunch and not worry.

Walk back at night. You'll probably be fine.

Call for a cab for the ride back at night.

Edited: 10:02 am, September 14, 2015
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
19,761 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: Taxis

You have a car?

If so, drive to that restaurant outside of the HD. They have a parking lot.

England
Level Contributor
506 posts
63 reviews
7. Re: Taxis

Thanks onemoreroad we will have a car I did take a look on goggle earth and noticed it is oopersite scad college building . I saw the car parking area .

We are only planning on visiting the sandfly around 12midday day when there should be plenty of students about .

We wont be going in darkness

England
Level Contributor
506 posts
63 reviews
8. Re: Taxis

I can definitely say the Sandfly stream liner is worth the walk I went on Saturday during day light hours of course , it is a little way past the far end of Forsythe Park .

I cant comment about night time but they do have a car lot where you can easy park , if any one is wanting to find this place I would say you cant go wrong the pulled pork was superb

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,475 posts
166 reviews
9. Re: Taxis

HarleyRider, I agree. We went Saturday for lunch and thought it was great. We also did not find the neighborhood bad at all and walked both ways. Perhaps it's more of an issue at night.

We may have been there at the same time!

England
Level Contributor
506 posts
63 reviews
10. Re: Taxis

SDT when we were in the streamliner there were only 4 people at that time we were the English couple taking photos I hope you enoyed your meal.

After we had our meal we in fact felt comfortable and safe to walk around a few blocks at that far end before heading back to River Street