We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to stay in the Historic District of Savannah for 4 days in early October.

I have been doing some reading on this forum, and as I understand it, the Historic District is 1 sq mile by 1 sq mile. My wife and I like to walk around in historic cities, take photographs, eat at restaurants, etc.

Will 4 days be too long in Savannah? It's not as if we want to be walking 8 hours a day.

Also, what other historic or picturesque cities that are good to walk in, as opposed to drive around in, are within a 1 - 2 hour drive of Savannah?

Thank you very much.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,611 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

I could spend 4 days in Savannah without a problem. There's no predicting your interests.

Tybee Island is a short drive away.

I highly recommending driving about an hour to Jekyll Island. Plenty to see and do there including that historic district, the sea turtle center, biking, kayaking, beaching, etc.

Some people split their time between Savannah and Charleston.

You could go out to the Okefeenokee swamp.

You could go out on the Lady Jane shrimp boat at Brunswick.

Lots to do in and around Savannah.

I'd start the trip with a walking tour by Dirk of Savannah Rambles.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

Spend 1 day driving to Tybee Island, on the way stop off at Fort Pulaski. Very interesting history & fort.

At Tybee take a walk to the end of the Tybee Pier on Tybrisa St / 16th St. . Look at the ocean. Have lunch at Sting Rays. Climb the light house if you have good legs. Maybe climb the light house before lunch. Plenty to do in Savannah. Take a trolley tour from the visitor center on MLK Blvd to get a good over view if the historic district 1st thing.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

Hi NH from Mass! We have a second home in Savannah so we go there about once a year to check on the house and frequently go in October. You got great advise already. Keep in mind that if you do get tired of walking around the HD, you can hail a Pedicab which is a bike-pulled little chair thing run by students usually from SCAD and you pay whatever you think is fair. But the walking/strolling is easy and I don't think you'd get sick of it or run out of squares to see and places to visit. We LOVE Tybee, very funky so we spend lots of time there- just be sure to have a ton of quarters as you have to pay for all parking spots and you will get ticketed for sure if you try to slide by that.

We've done a day trip to Charleston which is nice, and fairly similar to Savannah just more formal kind of. We aren't fans of Hilton Head as the traffic is terrible and it just didn't do anything for us but maybe you'd like it. Try driving south along Rt 17 and go to Shellman's Bluff- very funky spot,.

Have fun, you're gonna love it!

Dover, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

Thank you OneMoreRoad, Savannah Bruce and Karrieb for your helpful advice!

Jeb

5. Re: 4 Days in Savannah in Early October (corrected title)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, July 14, 2015