We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jekyll island and savannah

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
20 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Jekyll island and savannah

We will be visiting both savannah and jekyll island for the first time next week. We have 4 days.

Should we stay in each one for two nights or maybe one night in savannah and three on jekyll island?

We are a senior couple.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,400 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

Just the opposite. Savannah 3 Jekyll 1. Jekyll is a drive thru, Savannah a historic walking city. No comparison.

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I agree with Bruce.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,495 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I agree also. Spend 2 days in Savannah then one day doing things on Tybee Island then one day in Jekyll Island.

Saint Simons...
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I would definitely spend 2 nights in Savannah. Is there a reason you chose Jekyll Island for part of your stay? It is a lovely Island but very laid back with a nature and beach type of vacation. Lots of bike riding and beach walking on Jekyll. If that is what you are looking for then 2 nights in Savannah and 2nights in Jekyll might be good. Be aware that food is limited on Jekyll with a few casual restaurants and some very high end. The neighboring Island Saint Simons will have more dining options and an easy 30 minute drive north.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I would spend 2 nights in Savannah and 2 nights in Jekyll. You could spend a couple of hours on Tybee since it's so close but I would probably skip Tybee and head to Jekyll after Savannah.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

We have been to both and Bruce is right. You can see almost everything on Jekyll in a day. While your at Jekyll you might want to visit St. Simons Island. Quaint little Island with interesting history.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
14,645 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I spend a week at Jekyll at a time so I would want more time. Don't understand the draw of driving to an island just do to a drive-by and be gone, but if that's the plan I'd skip the drive to Jekyll.

Some people see Savannah in a few hours. Park, walk River street, maybe eat a meal and are gone. It just depends on what the goals are.

Edited: 1:47 pm, March 27, 2014
Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

I agree it depends on what you're wanting to do. If you're just wanting to lounge for most of the time, then spend more time on Jekyll. If you want to enjoy all Savannah has to offer, then I'd stay there longer. I saw everything I wanted to see on Jekyll in 3 hours a couple of years ago when we went to Savannah but sure I wouldn't mind a leisurely trip there if it was free or if I'm traveling with someone who wants to spend their time on Jekyll. I'f I'm doing the planning, then I'd stay all nights in Savannah and visit Jekyll as a day trip.

9. Re: Jekyll island and savannah

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 29, 2015