We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah newbie - need advice!

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah newbie - need advice!

Hi

I am planning a Deep South trip in June/July flying in and out of Atlanta and visiting Memphis, Vicksburg, Natchez and New Orleans. I posted my itinerary on the travel forum and have been advised to include Savannah but to be honest I don't really know much about Savannah so need your advice.

We would arrive in Savannah on Wednesday 2nd July for 2 nights, so will have a good day and a half to explore. It sounds like the Historic area/River Street area is the best place to look at to stay and seems to be the main tourist area, would that be an ideal area to stay?

I thought a city tour would also be a great way to see Savannah, giving us an idea of the area and of any places to potentially go back to look at. Are there any decent plantation houses that we should visit? Would a trip on a Riverboat be worth it? What should we be aiming to see or do whilst here?

I've also noticed on the weather sites that although the temperature should be hot it seems to have a high rainfall. Does this relate to one off heavy downpours or frequent persistent rain?

Thanks for any advice and suggestion.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah newbie - need advice!

Mid-March to late April is the best time to see Savannah. one day and two nights is not much time to see much. It's the flowers and fresh greenery in the parks that makes it worthwhile.

Save yourself some trouble and skip Savannah this time. July could be dreadfully hot and humid. With rain.

There would be no real plantation houses to see. The River Boat trip is a short ride up and down a highly industrial area.

Come in the Springtime. It really is special then. The rains dont' cool. They just make the humidity worse.

Edited: 12:35 am, January 16, 2014
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah newbie - need advice!

The rain is usually short but heavy lasting an hour or so in the late afternoon. In recent years we have had a bit of a drought in this area. Humidity is the worst in August. Plenty to do in & around Savannah. I have been to New Orleans & would skip it entirely, same with Atlanta but for different reasons. Spend time based in Savannah, then day trip to Charleston to see "plantations" then go South for 1 day at Cumberland Island National Sea Shore. Truly an amazing & unique place.

http://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm

members.virtualtourist.com/m/16c43/bb475/

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g34876-d12…

Savannah

Parks of Savannah, architecture, museums, local artist of all sorts, River St, City Market ( sit outside eat, drink & listen to live music ), you can walk with a drink in your hand ( cup) in the Historic District of Downtown Savannah,

-Wormsloe Plantation http://gastateparks.org/Wormsloe

Tybee Island Fort Pulaski - American Civil War fort which Robert E. Lee, the most famous southern general, helped build. http://www.nps.gov/fopu/index.htm

Tybee Light House & of course the beach.

River boat is not worth it but the an overview of the city is great. Also check out free stuff ( free rides, tours ) at the visitor center on MLK Blvd. visitsavannah.com/…

For true Southern cooking go to Mrs Wilkes for lunch.

Check out some restaurants at http://savannahmenu.com/ check out the top right recommended reataurants

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah newbie - need advice!

Thanks for your responses, they have given me plenty to think about!

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah newbie - need advice!

I was in Savannah last year for the 4th of July. The weather was perfect. 80s during the day and 70s at night and humdity wasn't bad at all. If you were to be in Savannah over the 4th, they do have a Riverboat Tour that takes you out so you can watch the fireworks from out on the river. There's always a chance it could be hot anytime in Savannah from May through October so I would not let the heat stop me from seeing a beautiful city if you're only planning to be there a couple of days. Oh and the only time it rained when I was there over 4 days was the morning the we were leaving. The only other time we ran into rain visiting Savannah was one year when we were there over New Years. I've been to Savannah over 8 times in the past 5 years and rain has never been an issue and neither has the humidity but maybe I've just been lucky.

5. Re: Savannah newbie - need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 19, 2015