We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hilton Property?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Which Hilton Property?

We'll be visiting next March for two nights with a car, and would like to stay at a Hilton property. It looks like the hotels in the Historic District are out of our price range, so I'm looking at the Hampton Inns and Hilton Garden Inns in Midtown, near the airport, and I-95 North. Any thoughts as which would be a better choice?

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hilton Property?

I would pay the difference and stay at the Hampton Inn at Bay and Abercorn or the Hilton Garden Inn - both the historic district. Check AAA rates too.

Edited: 11:16 pm, August 29, 2013
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hilton Property?

Thanks for the quick response! We actually stayed at the Hampton Inn on Bay Street last year. Great location and enjoyed our stay. My only complaint was the noise from traffic on Bay Street. For this trip, we really need to watch our budget, and the difference in price between that location and the Midtown HGI is $135 each night.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hilton Property?

Midtown Hamton Inn or Laquinta midtown are 15 minutes away from downtown. I-95 a little more especially at rush hour..

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hilton Property?

LaQuinta is not a Hilton property.

Midtown in the closest option but I've recently stayed more often near the airport (I-95, usually a Pooler location) and find it's pretty easy to drive in. The I-95 Gateway locations seem further away to me, in time more than distance. A lot of stop and go if I drive in via Abercorn and for no explainable reason I like coming in from the north (airport) better than the south (gateway).

I've recently started staying at the Hilton Garden Inns a lot more and really like them. I have no complaints re Hampton Inns and they offer a free breakfast.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,223 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hilton Property?

Take a look at the TripAdvisor list. The HGI and Embassy suites at the airport are near the top of the list. The Embassy suites will give you a free breakfast. I'd probably pick between those two.

Also look at the Hilton Desoto and the Doubletree in the HD and check their rates.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hilton Property?

Honestly, I wouldn't stay anywhere but the Historic District. Hampton Inn, Doubletree and Hilton Garden Inn are all located on Bay Street. Hilton Desoto is located in the middle of the Historic District. Honestly, you're not going to save a lot of money after you have to drive into the historic district every day and most of your restaurants you're going to want to eat at is located in the historic district. There's nothing like being able to walk around and not have to drive anywhere.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hilton Property?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I just booked a hotel and am really looking forward to our time in Savannah!

8. Re: Which Hilton Property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 01, 2014