We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah to Birmingham

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah to Birmingham

Hi. My wife and I will be traveling between the 2 cities in a few weeks. Any "must see" stops along the way, great restaurants, etc? Also, since we are planning on traveling on a Friday afternoon, we it be based that we stay clear of Atlanta?

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah to Birmingham

In Douglasville there is Hudson's BBQ and Gumbeaux's Cajun (both on 278 downtown). There are multiple options in Atlanta (read the restaurant reviews). In Jackson, there is Buckners (off Hwy 36 by the Flying J), it is all you can eat southern (about $13-15pp though). Lane's Orchards in Fort Valley is a good spot to get fresh fruit, nuts, jams/jellies, relish, etc...

As far as Atlanta, you need to be through/around it by 3pm at the latest, earlier if rain is forecasted. If you take 285 north/west to I-20 on the west side, you should be fine.

Edited: 5:59 am, August 18, 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,022 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah to Birmingham

Good info. And to add there are lots of chain restaurants along I 75 south toward Macon. If you wait to eat in Macon then choose the Riverside/Arkwright Rd. exit which has lots of choices. About the only other place with restaurants on I 16 is Dublin and they have a Longhorn Steakhouse and a Cracker Barrel restaurant. From Dublin to Savannah you will find rest stops, gas stations and a couple of McDonald's and that is about it.

Kirkland, WA
Level Contributor
65 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah to Birmingham

Thanks for the great input!

4. Re: Savannah to Birmingham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 22, 2014