We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah History museum

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
136 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah History museum

I just seen on my local news that a family from NC went to visit this museum recently. They have an 11 yo old handicapped child. They were told they couldn't come in the museum because her wheelchair would get the carpet dirty. This is so uncalled for. I hope everyone that reads this will not visit this museum or if you do how about giving them a piece of your mind! How can you mistreat a child that has no control of how she is! People are so inconsiderate. There's no excuse for this. They have since "apologized". I do not know this family personally this is just something that really makes me mad!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah History museum

The museum in question has special wheel chairs that are designed for them. The wheels do not have any grit or other stuff that would add more damage to the rugs. The family was asked to let the child use one of their chairs. It was something about the museum chair not having the proper harness to keep the child upright. The person on the staff did not properly explain to the family what the problem was.

It wasn't a case of just getting the carpet dirty. It was about not being able to use the museum wheel chair for the child. I certainly hope that problem has been corrected.

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah History museum

This made me mad when I saw it on the TV. Typically the museum will let you in your own wheel chair but the person working did not know that. They prefer the use of their on chairs due to the damage to the building.

A real problem that we have in Savannah is that 90% of the museums are located in the historic buildings/houses. They have a hard time trying to keep these buildings so they meet the historic standards and at the same time comply to ADA requirements. This is typical in other old cities. But even with this said there is still no excuse for what happened.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah History museum

I hope they sue for a million/trillion dollars. To me the entire incident is ridiculous but they will probably sue for the money. As the news report said she has a specialized wheelchair ( does every bldg. have to provide for every vehicle that holds a handicapped person ? no, not according to law ) she was offered 2 other options. Both options are stated in the museum policy and on their website. It might help if he read

The Americans with Disabilities Act

"•Physical barriers in existing places of public accommodation must be removed if readily achievable (i.e., easily accomplishable and able to be carried out without much difficulty or expense). If not, alternative methods of providing services must be offered. Both apply here. Local news channel with nothing better to put.

Indiana
Level Contributor
936 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah History museum

I'm sure this wasn't as bad as the Media lets on. They seem to over dramatise everything. Thats what sells.

5. Re: Savannah History museum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2014