We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Love food. Love Southern food. I've been to Savannah before (once as a kid, later alone, as an adult) but I didn't really "experience" Savannah or the food as I should have. What are your top 5 things to do and top 5 places to eat. Go! :) Also, my husband and I are photographers, so we know for sure we're hitting the cemeteries and it's our anniversary trip, too! lol Thanks for any/all suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

1. St. John the Baptist Cathedral

2. Forsythe Fountain

3. Walking tour (or self guided walking tour) of historic district and squares

4. Carriage ride (since it's your anniversary).

5. Bonaventure Cemetary

Lots of folks like River Street, but a bit too touristy for me. As far as good eats go, Pink House and Mrs Wilkes are always mentioned at the top of the list.

Edited: 3:48 pm, July 03, 2013
Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,476 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
113 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

The trolley tour is a nice alternative to the walking tour, if you prefer to be off your feet.

Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Look at TA's restaurant list for the top ones mentioned. It's pretty spot on. I didn't notice where Vinnie's is on the list, but if you want pizza, it's the place to go. Walking is our favorite way to see things. Our kids took so many beautiful pictures just from things they saw as we walked. Things like wrought iron gates, fish down spouts, homes, etc. Colonial Park cemetery has lots of history and photo ops. If you want a great lemonade stop at Parkers on Drayton. It's a gas station/deli/grocery. Lot's of good things there and tables inside and out. Look up Wormsloe Plantation. The plantation is gone but there's lots of beauty and history. If you go, stop at Sandfly for some of the best BQ ever. Have a wonderful time.

Edited: 7:42 pm, July 03, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Colonial Park Cemetery
Colonial Park Cemetery
1,527 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Historic District & Bonaventure Cemetery for photo's. Mrs Wilkes for true Savannah food. For local seafood try StingRays ( local shrimp & fish ) at Tybee after seeing Fort Pulaski. For a fancy night out we love The River House $$$ http://savannahmenu.com/riverhouse

or

Sapphire Grill $$$$ sapphiregrill.com/word/…20web.pdf

A bit of a drive but if you like fried catfish Loves Seafood has the best I have ever eaten.

http://savannahmenu.com/loves

Local sea food includes shrimp, blue crab, some oysters & many species of fish including mahi mahi, flounder ( fluke ) sea bass, sea trout, sheephead

Mentioned in this post
Bonaventure Cemetery
Bonaventure Cemetery
5,574 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Sapphire Grill
Sapphire Grill
529 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Collgeville, PA
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Must do's:

1. Bonaventure Cemetery

2. Historic District strolling

3. Carriage ride (after dinner)

4. Leopold's ice cream

5. Mrs. Wilkes

For photography, pretty much everything in Savannah is great material. There is a tour called "Capturing Savannah" that is catered towards teaching photography and showing you some cool spots to photograph while walking the city. We did it and it was great and we are avid vacation photographers. As far as the Old Pink House is concerned, we went and were not impressed by all the hype. The food is good but nothing out of the ordinary. We had a much better experience at Local 11 Ten. Melt in your mouth goodness and cocktails that were outstanding and enjoyed in a quaint rooftop bar.

Mentioned in this post
Bonaventure Cemetery
Bonaventure Cemetery
5,574 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Leopold's Ice Cream
Leopold's Ice Cream
8,863 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

In no particular order....

River Street

Mrs. Wilkes

Forsyth Park

Pink House

And definitely take a tour of the historic district, pick whatever suits your style be it a trolley tour, walking tour, carriage tour or a ghost tour.

Mentioned in this post
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,476 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Forsyth Park
Forsyth Park
7,111 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Hartford...
Level Contributor
128 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Everyone's to do suggestions are great. We also liked the Savannah History museum and you could also do a boat ride on the river. . For eating try Vic's on the River, Pink House, Allure and if you go out to Tybee, The Crab Shack was a fun experience

Mentioned in this post
Savannah History Museum
Savannah History Museum
448 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Vic's On the River
Vic's On the River
4,526 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
The Crab Shack
The Crab Shack
4,988 Reviews
Tybee Island, GA
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,498 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

Looking S. from Bay St. look to the left & up to the top of the bldg. behind the Hampton Inn to the left. There is a 18th century weather vane. You may be able to get the full story from someone inside. It used to be a religious annex from what I remember.

9. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:09 pm, October 16, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
264 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 Days in Savannah - Top 5 - See/Do & Eats

We just returned and ate at Vics on the River twice. The grits there are outstanding and also high marks for the shrimp, flounder, pork, etc. Also ate at the Pink House and it was also wonderful. Surprisingly, the only thing I think Savannah fell short on was desserts. They were good, but the rest of the food was worth a couple of ahhs and ohhs.

Mentioned in this post
Vic's On the River
Vic's On the River
4,526 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA