We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

Skokie, Illinois
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

My husband and I are planning to spend a few days in Savannah in early July. We want to begin with a tour of the city. Is it too hot to enjoy a walking tour in July? Would a trolley tour be better? Can you recommend some good tour operators in both categories? We'll be staying at Marshall House.

Savannah
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

I would do a trolley and a walking tours since each will be a different experience. You obviously get to see more in the trolley since you`ll cover more ground, but you get a lot more interesting details on the walking tour, even so you`ll see less.

For the trolley I would do http://www.oldsavannahtours.com/ they are local and their drivers always put on a interesting show. Since we live on Tybee we`ve never done a walking tour, so not sure which one is the best.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

For a walking tour I like Savannah Dan's personality.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

A trolley tour or a carriage tour would be good for an overview tour.

I like the pedicabs to get to and from places when you are tired of walking - or just too hot. Use Savannah Pedicabs.

Dirk of Savannah Rambles is my favorite tour guide in ANY city I've visited - and I take tours in many cities. He originated the architectural tour as part of the garden tour week when he worked for the city. He's a nice guy, uses no gimmicks but I don't think anyone knows Savannah better. I've been going to Savannah all of my life and am a history nut, so I THOUGHT I knew a lot about Savannah. Wrong. It is absolutely amazing to see a house or a building you've seen a million times (me) and learn something new that it an integral part of the settling of Savannah. He's great and I like him even better because he doesn't use any gimmicks.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

I always prefer a walking tour, but then, I'm terribly biased because I am a walking tour guide. I would recommend Old Savannah Tours as well, if I were to recommend any trolley company at all. Trolleys do allow you to cover more ground in a shorter space of time. The disadvantage with trolleys is that things tend to woosh by quickly and you miss all the detail. Also, the trolleys aren't climate controlled, so you're still going to be about as hot and sticky as if you were walking. It's July- there's no escape.

jackson, ms
Level Contributor
49 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

I booked dirk last night, he sounds really good. I used your recommendation, thanks,for,posting it.

6. Re: Savannah tours - walking or trolley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 28, 2014