We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

pensacola fl
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

We are so excited and want it to be special for all of us. We rented a garden flat on Olglethorpe St.(hope this is a good location)(113 e oglethorpe i believe) We want to know about the best hidden places for lunch and dinner that are special and unique. Something really fun for our daughter since it will be her birthday. My husband and I have seen that there is a riverboat..is it worth it? Great stores with inexpensive things around town? Best tours? Must have stops? Best place to eat in Tybee if we drive there also while in Savannah? We seriously may want to move to Savannah if we love it as much as we do in the books..so we would also like to know best neighborhoods and how close are they to historic downtown area. Best photo ops for pics of our daughter? What is a good book on Savannah? Just want it to be a special trip for all of us but we are on a budget somewhat. Thanks! We are so excited.

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

Wow, you sound excited but have you done any reading on this board for answers to your questions?

pensacola fl
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

yes but trying to find some local places, pretty places, and cool things for kids...

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,074 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

All that is here.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

the search box above your question is your friend. Not trying to be unfriendly or callous, its just that your question has been asked and answered many times by previous queries. Put in key words in the box and read what is there, then come back with questions not answered previously.

Level Contributor
52 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

Savannah is great for a little while. IMO just to visit is nice, for me I hate city life and would never move to a place like savannah it is very crowded. And traffic sucks big time and there never seems to be a time during the day without it. As far as neighborhoods go from my expirence in savannah traveling around, it seems like most of them are run down and "ghetto" looking. I'm sure there are nice ones to, I just didn't and havnt seen any. I would suggest you travel around just outside the historic district and see for yourself. And I have also heard you should read midnight in the garden of good and evil. I've never read it and don't no how it correlates to savannah

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

My husband and I love Savannah and go as often as we can. Taking a trolley or horse drawn tour may be easier for your daughter. Our kids loved being in the squares so that may be a good place for her to stretch her legs. Forsyth Park, any of the squares, and most areas have great photo ops. It's such a beautiful city. There are shops on River Street your family might like. You'll find all kinds of Savannah stuff there, and you may see a ship go down the river. There is an elevator by the Hyatt and City Hall on Bay Street. Much easier with a child. It comes out by the visitor center and bathrooms on River Street. Go in the candy shops and get a sample of pralines. The peanut shop also has lots of samples. We always end up buying something to have back in our room. Your daughter may like playing in the water in City Market. Vinnie Van Go Go's has great pizza, You can buy it by the slice, they're HUGE. It's in a small old building but don't let looks fool you. They open at 4:00 during the week. Get there early for quick seating. There are shops in City Market too, and ice cream. Mrs. Wilkes on Jones Street is great. Get there by 10:30 to avoid a wait. For BBQ, we like Sand Fly. Crystal Beer Parlor has real good food in a neat building. Don't worry about the beer parlor part. Your daughter will be fine there. You can check all these places on TA for reviews and locations. As in all cities, there are good and bad areas. It's a beautiful city. Check the homes in the Ardsley Park area. You'll find lots of beautiful neighborhoods. My husband lived in Savannah when he was little, and we have lots of family there. They all love it. I hope you will too. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Forsyth Park
Forsyth Park
7,238 Reviews
Savannah, GA
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,588 Reviews
Savannah, GA
City Market
City Market
2,041 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Vinnie Van Go-Go's
Vinnie Van Go-Go's
2,560 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Crystal Beer Parlor
Crystal Beer Parlor
3,689 Reviews
Savannah, GA
pensacola fl
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

thank you so much for your suggestions! We are very excited. Do you have any suggestions for one night in Tybee? Do any places look out to the water rent for one night or even a hotel that has ocean views? Any one great place to eat if we go to Tybee for one night for supper? I really appreciate your feed back and details and will definitely try the places you mentioned!

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

We always stay in Savannah, so I don't have any suggestions for Tybee. I know there are lots of places to stay. I don't know when you're going to be there, so be sure to check what's going on then. Make sure Orange Crush isn't going on. It's when the place is over run with college kids. We were stuck in the middle of it on a day trip. Not fun. Back in Savannah, the Boars Head on River Street is a nice place to eat. Ask for a window seat so your daughter can watch the water. There are several homes you can go through if you like. As you walk, there will be markers you can read to tell you historical facts. Walking in Colonial Park Cemetery is very informative plus your daughter can run a bit. It really is a beautiful place.

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
River Street Savannah
River Street Savannah
6,588 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Colonial Park Cemetery
Colonial Park Cemetery
1,541 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Belleville, Michigan
Level Contributor
79 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

I just thought of something else to help you. Go to www.savannahoffthebeatenpath.com. There are lots of things to click on.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Savannah with a 4 year old....

You definitely need to visit Tybee Island! Its only about 20 minutes from Savannah. The best restaurant in all of the Savannah area is Sundae Cafe on Tybee. The food is amazing!

Mentioned in this post
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Sundae Cafe
Sundae Cafe
1,731 Reviews
Tybee Island, GA