We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girl scout troop needs advice

Eureka, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Girl scout troop needs advice

My troop of seven 13 year olds will visit Savannah in April 2007. we are developing our budget. Need advice on the following:

Which dolphin tour is best?

Which ghost tour is best?

Is Murder Afloat cruise too hard for 13 year olds to try to solve?

Is the Pirate House any good?

Is the Interactive Adventures "Treasure of Tybee Island" any good?

Is the Pirate Walk good?

(we want to do maybe a whole day of pirate themed activities as you can see)

Any other advice or info would be appreciated!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

By that time a lot of things may change including all the things on your list.

Murder Afloat cruise would probably have a lot of adults on board. I don't know if it really would be suitable for your group.

The Pirates House would suit well for your adventures. Be sure that the Girls know about "Treasure Island" and Long John Silver. Whether or not the food would be very good, is anyone's guess. For that age, in that setting, it will do just fine. The Girls will enjoy it.

Check back in January 07 and someone will be more able to give you an update of the other activities.

Madison, Maine
Level Contributor
192 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

Check out my go list from my trip with Mom. You'll have a good time with your troop. My Mom went YEARS ago with her troop and she and I made a trip together to see how much had changed.

Check out the go list from our trip

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3681-Girl_Scou…

Savannah, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

Girl Scout troops that visit the city usually like to earn their badges.

This is what I notice they enjoy the most:

Old Savannah's Discover Savannah Trolley Tour. Unique because it shows them Savannah's Girl Scout history and takes them to Juliette Gordon Low's grave.

Troops usually like Murder Afloat

Eat at the Pirates House before 5:30 pm and they have a great buffet

They usually complain about the Pirate Walk- call up a tour company and get them to tailor one for your group.

They LOVE the tybee treasure hunt

Try Bull River Dolphin Tour

The Best Ghost Tour is Savannah Haunted History Tours. They have Girl Scout prices. 912-604-3007

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,474 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

Savhistory, may I ask if you're affiliated with Savannah Haunted History Tours? It seems you have recommended it in each of the two posts you've made on this forum and I wonder whether some disclosure should be made to the people who rely on this advice. No offense intended - I am just curious.

Savannah, Georgia
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

No, I used to work in the tourism industry with lodging and would send people there. My family is coming into town next week and we are all going ontheir tour next week. I like this tour because it's not acting like Savannah is some theme park like other tours. I live downtown and I am tired of people jumping out of the bushes at me. Notice I have plugged other businesses also. I would put their numbers on the forum too, but I don't have them in my rolodex.

Savannah
Level Contributor
636 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

SavHistory,

I plug them too, but do so only once in a while to avoid looking like a corporate schill. Not that you are, but there are some on this board who certainly fit that category-- I've seen posts on here for tours that are straight out of the ad copy.

In answer to the original poster's questions:

When I have friends with kids come to town, I like either Ghost Talk Ghost Walk or Cobblestone Tours' Savannah Haunted History. Both are family-friendly and seem to employ longtime guides (teachers, historians, theatre-lovers) as opposed to students with minimal training. Both of them advertise on this site, oddly enough-- I hope y'all don't think I sell Google ads!

The Murder Afloat cruise is entertaining and has been designed with all age groups in mind. I take this every darn year and am always surprised what a quality show it is.

The Pirate's House is solid fare. Nothing spectacular, but my favorite great-uncle (recently deceased) ate there every time he got a chance. He loved it, and I guess now by extension I like it, too.

The Pirates Walk-- my momma told me if you can't say anything nice... etc. So here is my summation of the Pirates Walk Tour-- Ahem.

I have no opinion of which Dolphin Tour is better, but I hope the rest of my recommendations have been helpful.

Enjoy your stay in Savannah!

7. Re: Girl scout troop needs advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 15, 2009