We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

Hello:

So I posted before asking which hotel was better, the IES or SHS (SpringHill Suites). Apparently SHS is like right near a semi-questionable area (MLK Blvd, etc) so we ended up booking IES - it's a little cheaper too, $167/n for a suite with 2 double beds (there are 2 of us).

IES has 4/5 stars here and 3/5 stars on Yelp, based on reviews, but it seems the reviews I read are either really great or really awful - one person said they had ants in their room, a few people have said the room didn't look clean. Someone else said they had to ask for TP and towels to be replenished.

So has anyone stayed there, especially in the suites? I've also heard the suites are a lot nicer than the main building/area.

Thanks!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,611 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

You keep saying that about the location of the SES but it just isn't true. I'm not sure where you are getting that information. I think I've read all of your threads here on TripAdvisor and no one has said that about SES - that I've seen anyway. It is not in a bad area. It is not in a semi-questionable area. It's a new hotel, a nice hotel in a perfectly fine area. I've tried to figure out why you think it's a bad location but can't. It isn't.

When the Courtyard was new, that area was a bit questionable. The second Hampton Inn was built and folks thought the MLK side was a wasteland. Five years ago, maybe. Not now. There are tons of new hotels in the area. Five years ago, the location of the Inn at Ellis Square was an iffy area. When the Doubletree was built, folks thought that was crazy. Now the MLK end of the HD is a very viable area. The area around Ellis Square used to be skanky. Ellis Square was a parking garage. One did not walk from City Market to anywhere else at night a few years ago. Now the City Market/Ellis Square area has pedestrian traffic and families out enjoying beautiful Savannah evenings. The SES is further away from River Street than the IAES, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's not as far out as the Courtyard and the Country Inn and Suites.

I don't mean to be rude, but I simply don't understand how you got the impression that the area around the SHS is not a good one. You are talking about the hotel at 150 Montgomery Street, right? It's a Marriott. It's not far from the Jepson Center and the Telfair House - and one of the prettiest squares in town. It's a few blocks from City Market. It's not on MLK but one block in. It's .2 miles to one of my favorite restaurants - Papillote - and the shops on Broughton. It's another .2 mile walk to the Inn at Ellis Square.

What's the bad part about any of that?

To the other part of your question - the range in reviews for the Inn at Ellis Square is because it's an older hotel. It preceded the changes on that end of the Historic District. It's made up of 2 buildings. The rooms in the 2 buildings are different. One building has bigger rooms. I don't think any of the room at the Inn at Ellis Square are anything to write home about. The rooms at the Marriott owned SHS will be much nicer - and newer and more consistent.

Again, I hope I don't sound rude but can't figure out what it is that you've heard that has made this a concern for you.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

I was told to avoid hotels by MLK Boulevard, by a friend that used to live there - perhaps that's why she said that, because it's changed a lot.

I think SHS would be nicer, yes, but IES is in a better location overall, correct?

We actually canceled our SHS reservations, for about $197/n (2 beds), and now it's up to $239 or so. Ellis is $167 and we are only going to be there for 2 nights.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

I have stayed at Inn at Ellis Square. You can read my review. Yes it was a few years back but I wouldn't hestiate to stay there again. I did imphasize that I prefer the Ellis Square area and that's probably because I'm used to staying in that area along with staying in the Columbia Square area. The main reason is most everything I visit at night is in that area or close by and that's the only reason. Springhill Suites area is fine and yes I have to say most locals are going to tell you that area may be questionable especially if they haven't visited the historic district of Savannah in the past few years. Heck even some locals will tell you they never go into the historic district unless it's St. Patrick's Day or the Fourth of July. There's even a blog I read on Savannah where she doesn't understand why anyone would visit Savannah so there's negativity all around. Honestly, you run the chance of having a bad experience anywhere. If I got a room at any hotel, I didn't feel comfortable in, I'd ask to be moved unless I was there during a busy time. When I stayed at IES, I had a simple room with 2 double beds. The beds were as comforable (IMO) as the beds at the 4 star hotel across the street that starts with an H when I stayed there. The main negative I found was the bathroom was small and of course the furniture is older and nothing fancy. Only one elevator was working most of the time but it was never that big of a deal to me.

It is an older building than Springhill Suites and it is historic so they're limited to what they can do when they renovate so yes it will be different than staying at Springhill Suites. That's part of the charm of Savannah in my opinion is staying in a building with a lot of history. Only you can make the decision of what you like. I'll admit I was a little worried after reading some reviews and after staying there that's when I came to the conlusion everyone is different and everyone will have a different experience in any establishment. What may be fine for some may not be for others. I don't expect a room that's $25-$50 cheaper a night to be as nice as the more expensive room. As long as it's clean and the bed fairly comfortable, I'm fine for the most part. Yes I love luxury but when you're on a budget, it's hard to be able to afford it when traveling.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

I do love older/historical buildings, though, which is why I'm kind of excited for IES. I'm just a little put off by some of the reviews, but I do figure that people usually only review things if they had a GREAT experience or an awful one, in my experience.

Thanks for the tips!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,611 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

Well if you equate "older" with "historic" you will be disappointed with the Inn at Ellis Square. It's an older building (actually two) but there is nothing historic about it. It's modern construction - just older. Many of the newer hotels on Bay HAVE created new consruction in the shell of an older building or built a new building designed to look old (by the choice of style and use of recycled bricks). The IES is fine, but is neither historic nor fancy. It's fine.

But the area around the SHS is perfectly fine...and if anyone is telling you otherwise they either haven't been to Savannah in years (and are giving you old, out-dated, inaccurate information) or they have biases that no amount of information will change. It reminds me of Atlanta "locals" who haven't been inside the Perimeter since the Perimeter was built.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

No, I was thinking it was historic because the building itself is historic: prweb.com/releases/2005/07/prweb260209.htm Built in 1851.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

Bottom line from someone who lives here, MLK has not changed that much. The Inn at Ellis Sq is better location as far as safety.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,611 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

Bottom line from someone who has traveled there on a regular basis for work for 20 years.

I disagree.

I contend that's the bias from a local - just the same as the bias one reads from Atlanta locals, etc. The ones who will not stay dowtown, take MARTA, think anything inside the Perimeter is "unsafe".

Hundreds if not thousands of trip reports and reviews from visitors that experience something different will never change those opinions.

Enjoy your stay. There's nothing wrong with the Inn at Ellis Square.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

The hotel does look nice, the suites especially, and the breakfast supposedly has some hot meal options which is good.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,220 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Inn at Ellis Square questions - trip in May

It only takes a quick google search to show you the worst crime areas.

www.neighborhoodscout.com/ga/savannah/crime/