We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Seems every other post I read about being in downtown Savannah after nightfall is full of perilous warnings. We're coming into town for our wedding/honeymoon and plan on doing lots of walking after dark.

We walk around Atlanta after dark without any issues, how can Savannah be any worse? There are unkind and unsavory people everywhere you go. You just have to know how to avoid them, or to not put yourself in a dangerous situation at all. I think it's key to not appear like a tourist, or out of place. Behave like you know your way around and you belong there and for the most part, trouble won't find you.

If walking from Broughton to River St and back again is such a bad idea after 10pm, tell me now and I'll be sure to call a pedicab.

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

It does sound like that, doesn't it!!! And this might be the reason. The Historic area after dark is all about tourists. The people that work there, usually live elsewhere. Tourist seem to be fair game, especially those that have had a few too many to drink. They take short cuts down alleyways and do other stupid things.

You ae correct! be sensible, watch where you are, look out for the people around you. It would be hard not to be seen as a tourist, because that's what most of the people after dark are. When, and if, you see a person or gang of young ones that DON"T look like tourists, take extra care.

Its also surrounded by housing projects and poor neighborhoods. It's small, and people too often roam out to where they have no business going.

Really, it's not like Atlanta. It pays to be careful, no matter where you are. Savannah's HD is too easy to get to, and run away from.

Personally, I don't think it's as bad as some of the posters think. It's just a matter of a concentrated area full of careless people and trash that takes advantage of the sitiuation.

The City is trying to cut down on the number of panhandlers. They are more of a nuisance than a crime problem. Ignore them.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
13,230 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

There are people who live in Atlanta who would never go to Midtown and gasp at people even considering going to Downtown. One in particular would not let her grown daughter take MARTA from the airport to a NE suburb. You live and move around Atlanta. You probably think that's silly and/or over-cautious. I do. I just don't think there is any convincing people like that to change their minds. There are also tourists that come to a place and assume everything is hunky dory and wander around completely oblivious to the world around them. You don't sound like that kind of tourist. There are also people who are shocked that a single woman would walk around NYC alone. I invited a friend to join me for a trip to NYC and she could not get past her fear. When I asked questions, she was just sure that something bad would happen on the streets of NYC. I told her I was more at home in NYC than Atlanta (and I grew up in Atlanta) and she looked at me like I was crazy. Personally, I am amazed at people who are afraid of the homeless. I don't understand that. Crime happens. In Savannah, Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, Boston, cities everywhere. Be smart and you'll be fine. I would (and do) feel perfectly safe walking from Broughton to River Street and back. When you read about crime (not just in Savannah) it's usually drug related and between people involved in drug transactions and/or domestic violence. That's everywhere - not just Savannah. Yes, there can be random crime but that can be everywhere - not just Savannah. You have a great attitude and know how to be aware of what's going on around you. You'll be fine. Enjoy your honeymoon. But if you feel the least bit uncomfortable, calling a pedicab is a great idea.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

you cannot get through to some.. they live in a bubble of their own making and refuse to look at any reality based facts.. they have no common sense of any kind... so when it comes to travel outside their comfort zone they freak out.. you can of course encounter crime anywhere and you have to be careful everywhere... ask at the hotel before you take of... see what their feel of the area is and trust yourself ... if you feel uncomfortable call a regular cab,etc. Savannah is a beautiful place to begin your future together best whishes

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Just returned from Savannah and walked around several nights late and honestly I never felt unsafe. You will see some homeless people and some people that are a little different but no one scared me or made me feel uneasy. Have fun. I can't wait to go back.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
407 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Thanks for chiming in everyone. I think it's important, like many of you have said, just be aware. It's probably going to be pretty chilly at night when we're there in December, does anyone know a good regular cab number to call? It's tough to determine via the web.

We plan on having a blast! I really look forward to finally being in Savannah, and experiencing all she has to offer. I have a feeling I'm not going to want to come home!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,200 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Stay in the HD main areas. If it's late, be safe & take a pedicab.It's probably more dangerous to drive here from Atlanta down I-16. The historic district reminds me alittle of Greenwich Village in NY but not as crowded.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Savannah Pedicab is 912-232-7900 (work on tips)

Savannah Yellow Cab is 912-236-1133

There's usually Pedicabs sitting outside City Market, Starbucks on Broughton and The Olde Pink House. There's a new pedicab company called Royal Bikes I saw and they charge $1 per block plus tip. Savannah Pedicab is usually SCAD students and I'm not sure about the new company.

Royal Bike - 912-341-3944

Honestly, you never know as far as temps in Savannah. Two years ago at New Year's it wasn't cold at all. We had cold nights and warm days last week but the people in Savannah seem to think it was zero. In my opinion, the restaurants were way too warm especially the ones that had fires going in the fireplaces so make sure you dress in layers as you may find yourself too warm in some of the restaurants. Have fun.

Clearwater, FL
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

Savannah is no different than any other decent sized city. It has its nice areas and areas to avoid.

9. Re: Are ya'll trying to scare me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 06, 2013