We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Tours

Raleigh
3 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Tours

I am torn between a walking historic tour and a trolley on/off tour. Any suggestions? We both like to walk but wonder if we will cover more area on the trolley tour. Also, there are so many haunted tours...which are the best? Anybody know where I can get a good map of downtown with most of the landmarks?

Thanks.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Tours

I would say they are very different experiences and it wouldn't hurt to do both.

The trolleys cover more grond faster, more info less detail, less time to look.

The walking tours tend to specialize on a certain aspect, architecture, ghosts, battles, movies, whatever. Way more detail, more chance to ask questions, less acreage covered.

The visitor's center on MLK at Liberty Street has a pretty good map as do most hotels and the trolley companies.

Here's one for per planning:

www.savcvb.com/savannah/maps/downtown.shtml

BSQ
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Tours

we utilized both a trolley & walking tour. I was concerned about wearing my Mom ragged in the heat, so we took used the on/off trolley tour to give us the lay of the land so to speak. I kept the trolley map out and we circled things we wanted to come back to and explore on foot. In the evening, we did a ghost tour on foot, which we just loved.

I Felt this gave us a good Savannah experience for the short amount of time we had to explore (1 day!).

I used the sake link provided to do some of our planning, but the tourist info center has a really nice (free) map available which at the moment must still be in the door of my car!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Tours

As far as haunted tours go, I have copied this from a priorn blog entry:

There are a number of walking tours...these give you an opportunity to see the buildings up close and for an extended period of time. They also give you more interaction with the tour guide.

The carriage tours have much smaller groups and are at a leisurely pace...you have more of an opportunity to speak with the tour guide and ask questions.

There is a company that offers tours in a funeral herse...you will hear the same stories as the other tours, but you are sitting where many dead bodies once laid.

One trolley company offers a tour with costumed characters, which often appeals to families with children. Other trolley companies ride you through the historic district and relate the stories to you. Depending upon the trolley guide, these might cover more area than the other tours. When you get to town, talk to your hotel concierge. Depending upon your family's ages and personalities, trust them to recommend the tour that is right for you!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Tours

My only problem with trolley tours is that while you're riding the trolley you do not have the popportunity to take photographs that you have on a walking tour. That said, if you hop off at every site, as I usually do, then these are enjoyable. I frequently use hop on hop off tours as a form of transportation when traveling in lieu of public transit and taxis.

I really like Streetwise maps. I always order one from amazon or elsewhere when traveling to a new city. I have found them especially useful in Europe, and used one on a Savannah trip a few years ago. It was great to have the landmarks marked and to avoid having to carry around a chunky guidebook. Plus the fact that it was laminated protected it from wear and tear.

5. Re: Recommended Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:50 am, June 23, 2006
Level Contributor
50 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Tours

I highly recommend an Old Town Trolley Tour. My first one of those was in Savannah and like several posters have said, you can hop on and off throughout the day AND they offer an awesome map of attractions. Most all of their drivers are very informative about the sights etc and after a day of walking round, photographing, etc I was thankful for a coach to ride back to my car in. One piece of advice; in Savannah or other hot and humid environments, always get a seat by an open window (which almost all of them are). I didn't for one late afternoon leg last summer and because I was sitting by a permanently closed window, about got sick was so hot with no air circulating.

Walking or riding, Savannah offers great opportunities for sightseeing, etc. I'm sure you'll have an enjoyable time.

7. Re: Recommended Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:50 am, June 23, 2006
Get answers to your questions about Savannah