We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Hi - staying in Savannah for the week and thought maybe checking out Charleston as it's not too far away.

It is worth doing the trip there, or is it too similar to Savannah?

Thoughts?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,567 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Not similar at all. Where Savannah was laid out and planned, Charleston grew up about 75 years earlier. A great city for walking but in a different way.

The drive is 1.5 to 2 hours each way

Boston
Level Contributor
3,695 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

While we absolutely prefer Savannah, sure, take a day and go there. Nice area as Stevedec says although I thinking walking around Savannah is prettier. But for the history alone, it might be worth the day trip up there.

Lumberton, North...
Level Contributor
100 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Charleston is a beautiful and historical place. You should definitely make the trip.

Tyrone, Georgia
Level Contributor
51 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

It's a misconception that the cities are similar. I love them both and for different reasons. Definitely worth the trip!

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

It is a 2 - 2 1/2 hr drive.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Spend a night there would be better. It's a great city to visit. Enjoy your trip.

atlanta,ga
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, St. George Island
Level Contributor
3,127 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Might head down to fernindina beach as well. Very historic esp ft clinch park. Kind if st Augustine w/o the crowds

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

A great day trip from Savannah is Beaufort. It's a neat town with some fun places to dine and visit. And it's a short drive. Enjoy your visit.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

Charleston is worth a day trip. I would try to be there by 10 a.m. Take a carriage tour as carriage tours are very popular there. They leave from their City Market area. Then if you have time, take the tour to Fort Sumter. If not, then just do the carriage tour, walk around and have lunch. On the drive back, stop at the Angel Oak Tree and make some photos.

http://www.palmettocarriage.com/

http://www.angeloaktree.com/

If you don't want to drive to Charleston, then I agree with Axle, Beaufort is a another great historic town to visit.

While I prefer Savannah, Charleston is best done over several days but you can get a general idea over a day trip and that way you would know if you want to ever come back.

Folly Beach, SC
Level Contributor
749 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Charleston worth it?

I live in Charleston. If you cannot spend a night, it is too much in too short of a time to make it a day trip. If you want a day trip, I'd suggest Beaufort also. I don't know how long you're staying in Savannah, but if it's only 4 days, stay put.