We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January Visit?

Boston
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Topic
January Visit?

Greetings!

I'm looking for a city to explore for my 40th b-day. I've always wanted to visit Savannah but am wondering if things would be too quiet during the first week of January? I grew up in Florida so jetting off to the Carribean is not really a lure for me. Hawaii would be nice but a bit beyond my wallet given that it would be high season. In your opinion, would I find a comparable level of Savannah charm in January as opposed to say April?

I'm also open to other suggestions of cities to explore. I live in Boston so I'm not keen on traveling to snow-prone areas! Many thanks!

Savannah, Ga
Level Contributor
719 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: January Visit?

January can be lovely or it can be the pits. The weather for the last few years has been unpredictable. We could have sleet, rain, fog or drought. It's too early to tell.

Mid March to mid April would be an ideal time to visit. It would be the height of the Blooming season. In January, only a few camillias would be showing their colors.

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January Visit?

Several restaurants and house museums close in January for renovations. That's the main draw back to visiting during that time.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January Visit?

Hello from Foxboro! I stayed in Savannah and out on Tybee Island for the month of January this year for work and while it was quiet, I had a great time. It kind of depends on how much activity you need but overall, I had no problem finding stuff to do on my weekends and evenings off from my work. Temp wise, there were several pretty cold early mornings (around 20 F) but it always warmed up so bring layers! I had overall pretty decent weather.

Savannah
Level Contributor
103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January Visit?

The good thing about January is you probably can save 50% or more on lodging as everyone seems to take whatever they can get. We often book homes or a B&B for weekends in Jan and have stayed for as little as $79/night in places that normally rent for $250/night or more.

5. Re: January Visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 16, 2013