We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

Boston
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

Hello! I am starting to think about my husbands 30th bday- a year from today! I would love to plan a getaway to Savannah- a place we've both always wanted to visit and I have now come across info on Tybee Island which I think we would both love as well. We are from Boston and spend a lot of free time on Cape Cod. We could probably only get away for 3 nights so I am thinking, fly in and spend the first night in Savannah and the 2nd 2 nights on Tybee. Can anyone recommend where to stay? The Savannah Beach Inn looks nice on the website. On Tybee we must be close to beach. I'm not worried about cost, i just want this to be a getaway to remember! We love to go for walks and explore new places and eat at nice restaurants. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Also, i would assume early April is an ideal time to travel to the area??? Thanks!!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

April is a great time to be here.

On Tybee there are a number of hotels and motels, there are also a bunch of beach houses and condos for rent by the night. Which would you prefer? Do you want a kitchen or someone to make your bed? Let us know and we will try to help.

There are some very good and some fun restaurants on Tybee. George's is very good "gourmet" food. Tango's is good food and fun. Beachside grill is right on the beach, more of a burger, shrimp kind of place but outside ctables overlooking the sand, north beach grill is casual but very good food.

Florida
Level Contributor
100 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

I would divide the time more as one night on Tybeee and 2 in Savannah......Soooo much to see and do there. Although we loved the Tybee Island Lighthouse, it just didn't seem the type of beach to need to spend days at.

The squares in Savannah are so beautiful to see :)

There is River Street, City Market and on and on. A reservation made ahead for the second floor windows overlooking Reynolds Square at the Olde Pink House made my birthday sooooo special, want to repeat it again next year :)

Boston
Level Contributor
233 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

thanks guys! On Tybee we definitely would like to stay in a hotel or Inn (not a motel or condo) since this will be a quick visit. I'd love to stay in a nice place since this is a special bday!!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

Spend all three nights at Tybee then. It is only about 30 minutes driving time into Savannah over some pretty salt marsh areas. there's really no point in moving. Take time to see Fort Pulaski which is on the way into Savannah. I know you have forts in the Boston area, but this one, because of it's setting and size is a treat to visit.

Gulf Shores, Alabama
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

The Breakfast Club on Tybee is one of the best breakfast places I have ever been to! Get there early (7-8am) as the place fills up fast....

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

My wife and I love B&Bs. We just returned from Tybee and stayed at the Savannah Beach Inn. I can assure you that the web site is the best part of this B&B. It is grossly overpriced, the decor is haphazard, we were served overcooked scrambled eggs instead of the advertised eggs benedict or bannanas foster french toast, we had to wait almost two hours after the 3PM check in time before the room was actually ready, and they left used soap bars in the rooms. But, if you like well chilled Merlot, an innkeeper with a fairly sour attitude, and if having too much cash in your wallet is a problem then this is the place for you! Stay in Savannah.

However, on a bright note, we had a surprisingly good meal at the most modest imaginable restaurant ( between the liquor store and the gas station): Sundae Grill. They have a web page you should check out. The food was perfectly cooked, reasonably priced, and the spicing was extremely delicate. This place has two chefs, and not just a couple of cooks. Worth checking into.

7. Re: Savannah/Tybee for Husbands 30th bday-where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:21 am, August 13, 2009