We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best hotel for walking everywhere?

new hampshire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
best hotel for walking everywhere?

we are coming for 3 nights/4 days and want to tour the city's historic district and all sites. I'm debating between the Hyatt on the river or the Mulberry...any thoughts?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best hotel for walking everywhere?

Check out this map. This is the Historic District. The Hyatt is right next to the City Hall in the center. The Mulberry is on the corner of East Broad and Bay on the far eastern edge of the district. Bull Street is the midline of the district. You would have a walk about several blocks from the Mulberry to get to Bull Street. The usual walk is down Bull Street from Bay to the Forsyth Park at the southern end of the map. Then, back up Abercorn (two blocks east of Bull) to Bay. And you would enjoy strolling the cross streets too, but this would be the basic walk.

If you don't feel up to walking that much, (it will be about one mile to the Park and one mile back to Bay) Take one of the riding tours first. There's nothing like walking through the squares.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best hotel for walking everywhere?

The Hyatt is an architectural anomaly - not pretty - but well located. The interior, however, has just been extensively refurbished (to such an extent that the hotel was closed during the process). It is located in the catbird seat right on the river (or, more accurately, right above the river)with elevator access to the river level. You can see the huge ships passing, from your room if you get riverfront, the carriage tours pick up at the front door, and you are right at the corner of Bay and Bull Streets. The Mulberry Inn is a Holiday Inn property, but a really upscale one. The building was originally a livery stable, then the old Coca Cola bottling factory and is now replete with massive crown moldings, lovely furnishings and a beautiful interior courtyard. The lobby is charming and gracious and, if they haven't discontinued it, afternoon tea is served. This property is not quite as centrally located, but only a short walk from the center of the historic district. It backs up to the famous Pirate's House restaurant and is just across Bay Street from the River. I have not seen the guest rooms here in a while, but the property gets good reviews. The tour trollies pick up here, too. I think much depends on whether you want the b-i-g hotel experience of the Hyatt or would rather go more for a little southern ambience at the Mulberry. You will, indeed, sacrifice a little of the centrality-convenience of the Hyatt by going toward the eastern side of the historic district to the Mulberry. There are more restaurants in the Hyatt area on the Bay Street level and on the riverfront and it's a quicker walk to the evening action in the City Market area. You're gonna be o.k., either way.