We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do's in Savannah

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Must do's in Savannah

Hello, we, (sister and myself) are heading to Savannah this weekend for the first time. What are the must do's and see's while there. What food is Savannah famous for, I read about the Chatham punch is this something you can't leave without trying. We have reservations at the Old Pink House one night but the rest of the time we are winging it. Thanks

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do's in Savannah

My musts is walking the historic district either through a tour or your own walking tour and/or a trolley tour. I also recommend a pub crawl. My favorite is Creepy Crawl. The pub crawl is as much a history tour as it is a haunted tour. I also recommend a visit to the lighthouse on Tybee Island. Another if you have the time is to visit Bonaventure Cemetery.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do's in Savannah

I totally agree with MZ. Walking around the HD is a must. Tybee Island is wonderful- rent a fat tire bike and ride around the beach- that is what sold us on Savannah and lead us to buying a house there! Bonaventure Cemetery is amazing.

Eat at any ole streetside cafe you find. Have ice cream at Leopolds. Lunch at B Mathews maybe. You can't go wrong. My one recommendation is to avoid River Street due to its very high tourist atmosphere EXCEPT as a location to watch the barges go down the canal. That is entertainment by itself.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do's in Savannah

I would hardly classify the Savannah River a "canal", nor do 'the barges" go down it.

Savannah is home of the fastest growing container port in the USA and its main traffic consists of Panamax container vessels, some of which hold upwards of 2500 containers. Post-panamax vessels can carry over 3000. Georgia Ports Authority is proud of Savannah being the second largest container port in the USA. Watching these huge vessels is a treat for anyone.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
264 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do's in Savannah

We visit Savannah every summer and have for over 10 years now. Everyone has their own opinions on what to do but we and many friends who have been there do enjoy River Street to people watch, see the ships coming in and even watch some of the performers in the evening. Is it a touristy area, sure, but it's also worth a visit....just my opinion

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do's in Savannah

Ouch Karrie, you really stepped in it there! Diss-ing our River AND River street? ;)

We have lived here for over twenty years and still walk to River Street regularly to watch the people, the river, and the ships and just to walk from the port entrance to the Marriott is something everyone should do.

Edited: 7:49 am, May 26, 2011
Boston
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do's in Savannah

Gees, sorry all. That's what I get for posting on very little sleep. I wouldn't have recommended going down to watch the boats unless I loved it too! I love the river, sorry for calling it a canal (frankly thats what I thought you called the part of a river where the ports were but now I know better) and I thought giant boats that carried huge containers were called barges. Is that a bad word?

We love the entertainers along the River too and always go down to listen to them while we watch the boats.

I stand by my IMHO comment about the touristy aspect of River Street. I think it can get too, too crowded and if that's all you see of Savannah then you might get the idea that it isn't as special as it is.

Give me a bit of a break my friends. I love Savannah, own a home there and plan to move there within a few short years and have posted many, very positive posts about my favorite city over the past 3 years or so.

Alpena, Michigan
Level Contributor
264 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do's in Savannah

I wasn't trying to jump on you about your River Street comment, but over the last months there have been more than a few people who would tell people to avoid River Street and all the touristy stuff. I was only giving my opinion. Yes, it can get much to crowded at times, but it is still fun to be down there.

Florida
Level Contributor
924 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Must do's in Savannah

A meal at the Ole Pink House is the perfect beginning to a wonderful weekend in Savannah! Take a tour of the HD, and then a ghost tour at night, so you get to hear the many wonderful stories about Savannah and it's history. Do walk down River Street..okay it's touristy BUT you are a tourist!! I love walking in and out of the shops and there are some good places to eat..the Boars Head and Vic's are 2 places I always enjoy. You have to experience the piano player at Vic's..lmao! There are many other fabulous places to eat in Savannah.(Elizabeth's on 37th, Saffire Grill, J. Christophers, B. Mathews...hungry already) .I actually can't wait to go just for the wonderful food. But take in the wonderful history and let the people of Savannah embrase you with their warm hospitality..there really is no other place like it in the South!! oh and see Bonaventure Cemetary..beautiful!! I'll be there this weekend also...I love Savannah!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Must do's in Savannah

Thank You everyone for your help. We arrive about noon tomorrow, have reservations for the Old Pink House for the evening. Sunday I was hoping to get to the Bonaventure Cememery but couldn't find a tour with transportation so I'm hoping I'll find something when we get there. I'm looking forward to the Southern Cusine and plan on trying the oysters. I can't wait to feel the warm air, woke up this morning to 32 degrees and frost! Just hope the tornados stay away!!!! Thanks again.

Moab, Utah
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Must do's in Savannah

Call Savannah Heritage Tours if you want to see Bonaventure Cemetery via tour bus. I believe this is the only driven tour of the cemetery. Trolleys and large vehicles are not allowed into Savannah's cemeteries, but Savh. Heritage Tour uses a small minibus that can drive in. Or take a cab to Bonaventure and do the walking tour. I have taken this tour and it is one of the best (very indepth) offered in Savannah. As a tour guide, it takes a lot to impress me. Call Bonaventure's office 912-651-6843 for more info.

As for Chatham Artillery Punch, what is served in the River St. restaurants & bars is a poor attempt at what takes many ingredients mixed together and left to settle for upwards of six weeks in an earthenware crock. You'll be poured a fruit punch & rum counterfeit drink in a tourist establishment. Make your own Chatham Artillery Punch at home. The recipe can be found in some Savannah cookbooks, especially the ones published by local churches. E. shaver's Books on Madison Square has the largest selection of all books on/about Savannah. Locals shop at Shaver's.

As for oysters, they're going out of season now but you can still find them at most seafood restaurants. I walked out of the Oyster Bar a couple of years ago: it was not clean. Uncle Bubba's (Paula Deen's brother, Earl) is all right if you like cats as dining companions on the outdoor deck but oyster aficianados will be disappointed to know that their oysters are opened via machine and the juices are drained, rendering them tasteless.