We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

Nashville, TN
3 posts
Save Topic
Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

I have heard that Savannah is THE best party for St Patricks day! I am planning to come for that weekend with 2 other girlfriends and we need to know the best place to stay that will keep us right in the action, but be reasonable cost(we are all single with only mid-class income). We will drive in from nashville, so we will have acar and will need to concern ourselves with parking costs also. It looks like the Historic District is the area it is all in.. can you suggest hotels? Any hotels we can se ethe parade from a hotel balcony? Best place for single girls in mid 30's to hang out and enjoy? We like to drink and have raucous fun so fun-loving environment best for us.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

Most of the big hotels such as the Desoto Hilton, the Hyatt Regency, Marriott Riverfront, etc. are either booked solid or close to it. Some hotels book up months in advance. One thing to note: 99% of the hotels & motels raise their rates through the roof for the St. Patricks Day festivties (a couple of days ahead of March 17 though the weekend) so you can expect to pay two to three times the usual rates....they do this because of room damage in years past and in hopes of keeping the riff-raff at bay. But mostly because they know people will pay anything just to get a hotel room within the parade/festivities district. Check online for available rooms. Best best would be to stay on the southside on I-95 and 204 and take a shuttle to the parade. Hotels can tell you more about the mall shuttles. Even the southside places raise their rates too but not as insanely as they do in downtown.

Raucous behavior is not tolerated as it used to be. There have been fatalities in the past. A drowning occurred a few years ago when a college student fell into the river. Underage drinking used to be a big mess, too. People must now pay to drink on the river ---it's gated admission due to crowd control -- and if you plan to drink, bring legal ID to prove you're 21. Police make arrests over the slightest infractions and they will do so throughout the festival area, from Jones Street north to the River. Don't come here planning on having a topless time a la Bourbon Street. Have fun but don't do stupid things. Party all you want to but use common sense. Drunks get hauled off, too. There are over 200,000 people downtown for the parade and among them pickpockets and purse snatchers. Street crime is bad in Savannah and can get worse in crowds like we experience during St. Patricks Day. Cars will be towed if parked in private lots/property or on the parade route. They get towed as early as the night before the parade when the city begins to close down the streets. And the towing companies make their year on St. Patricks Day...you end up paying hundreds to get your car returned..cash only. Check with your hotel to see about parking. You cannot drive in downtown Savannah at parade time. It's all locked up against traffic.

Despite these warnings it's a great time to be in Savannah, but you need to know what it's like here, so you won't be annoyed or surprised if something unpleasant happens. Locals avoid going to the river or City Market for partying after the parade. Lots of college kids, though.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
100 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

Hello:

Please do not let the previous post discourage you. St Patrick's is a lot of fun. I disagree with most of what the earlier poster says. I guess that some people like sit home to worry about everything.

You might have a hard time finding a hotel downtown. But, there should be rooms in Savannah's South-Side. Just take a taxi back and forth to the Historic Distric. I know that there will be a lot of cab drivers on

the streets, and it's easier. I live here, and when I go out to the clubs, I always take a taxi back and forth.

St Patrick's is really crazy and fun all week. You'll have a great time.

Welcome to Savannah.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

I do not wish to be discouraging over St. Ptricks Day in Savannah. Facts are facts. People should know what to expect if they want to plan the best possible time. There's no sitting home here.

Savannah
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

I know The Mansion on Forsyth Park has rooms available - they just opened and are located across from Forsyth Park. Right where the parade starts, but about a ten to fifteen minute walk from River Street. Still beats the drive out to the airport hotels -

Florida
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

I'm not sure if you found a place or not, but trying to stay in the Historic District is pretty pricey. I'm heading there for a Bachelor Party the weekend of St. Pat's Day so we booked 2 rooms at the Marriot. I think both rooms are costing us around $2400 for three nights. Then we have to pay $15/car per night for parking. Oh well though, can't wait to go...

Nashville, TN
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Savannah for St Patricks Day - Advice Needed

Thank you all for your helpful suggestions. We were unable to find a hotel that was in our price range and have abandoned our trip plans at this time. We will plan ahead for next year with the additional rate increases in mind! Thank you all for your helpful guidance!