We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of 4 staying at Westin for convention early...

Indiana
9 posts
Save Topic
Family of 4 staying at Westin for convention early...

My family is staying at the Westin Savannah Harbor for a convention first week in March. Have two boys, 1 and 4, what is there for kids that age and what is the weather usually like that time of year? We are also spending 4 days in Hilton Head, any advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Family of 4 staying at Westin for convention early...

It's hard to say what the weather will be. Most likely a good bit warmer than Indiana, but it could be rainy and windy. check with www.weather.com later in February.

As far as the children, I raised mine here and I can't think of anything that you could do with the younger one except push him around in a stroller. Maybe the 4yr old would enjoy Chuckie Cheese for a long lunch. But that is about all. I hate to say it, but Savannah has very little to offer the family with small children except the beach in the summer. If it's warm enough, he might get a big kick out of feeding the pigeons and squirrels in Forsyth Park.

The Westin might have a play area for the active youngster.

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family of 4 staying at Westin for convention early...

I have a granddaughter about to "turn" one and a grandson who's three. We find so much to do in Savannah that there are not enough hours in the day. First, head for the beautiful Forsyth Park. The kids will, briefly, enjoy the wonderful fountain(swans and mermen in a world class fountain)and then head for the very nice playground in the center of the park for some playtime. (Get your concierge to "map" you. It's not far.)

Take the kids - be sure to bring the stroller - to Oatland Island. It's just off the President Street Extension on the road between the historic district and Tybee Island. It's a fabulous presentation of our local fauna in their natural habitats. Lots of woodland trails that will open up, suddenly, on a wolf, bear, alligator, etc. habitat (protected, of course.) An umbrella stroller is best as the trails are natural.

Our wonderful "main" Library has frequent storytimes for little ones (again get "mapped" by your concierge) and is in a lovely, historic building that is very kid-friendly. Take your kids (stroller, again) to the art studios on the second floors of the buildings at City Market. The baby will be entertained by the color and activity and the older kid can meet some real live artists making art in the studios and may even be invited to make some art, too! There's a great ice cream store in City Market - need I say more about that? Departing from City Market are carriage rides powered by REAL horses. If you don't opt for a tour, do visit the horses. They love to be petted and especially appreciate apples - let the driver feed them, however. There is a ferry boat that crosses the river from the Westin to River Street. What kid wouldn't like a boat ride? (Even our baby loves to ride on the water.) The beach at Tybee is a great sandbox! It will probably be warm enough for play in the sand, even if the water's not warm enough yet. There's a great little aquarium at Tybee, too. At the Oglethorpe Mall (I know, "Mall...ugh!" but this one has a "feature"!), near the Penney's store, there's a playground just for very small youngsters. All the equipment is rubberized, floors are springy (you take off your kids' shoes)and it's a cool place to expend some energy. There are pretzels and ice cream close by! Also the food court at this mall has some healthy alternatives if you shop a little bit. The Barnes and Noble at this mall has a killer kids section and there are frequently art classes, story times and other activities....for the pre-kindergarten set, even. On the Riverfront, there's a candy store where you can watch the candy being made and then sample some. You can also watch some really HUGE ships going up and down the river...great fun. With just the least bit of effort, you can entertain these young'uns - and yourself - royally while in Savannah and wish you were stayin' a lot longer. Don't let anyone tell you Savannah is not kid-friendly. It's the best place on the eastern seaboard (excluding Disney, of course) to have wonderful one-on-one (or two) experiences with your children.

Get answers to your questions about Savannah