We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

I searched the forum for this topic but the most recent seemed to be November 2010 concerning 2 incidents of purse snatching (same person).

I will be traveling to your fair and beautiful Lady Savannh May 24 thru 28, alone. I have traveled to many places in the world and am mindful of my purse and surroundings (metros come to mind!), stay in well lit areas at night, etc. but also know all cities have certain areas that are less desirable than others.

I plan to stay at Planters Inn and dine at Vic's on the River one night, probably the Pink House(?) another.

Since the other posts I found were several years old and cities change, I was wondering it there are any areas of Savannah to avoid?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

bump.......did I ask this question inappropriately?

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

I assume you will fly to Savannah. It's a very safe city. Take a cab to your hotel in the HD. Planters Inn is very nice. Avia is another very nice hotel that's closer to City Market which is a fun square block area of shops and restaurants near Bay Street. Walking in Savannah in the HD is perfectly safe at day or night. I would not walk around dark areas late at night though. I have visited often and never experienced any crime in the HD. The Old Pink House is nice. Go to Local 11 Ten for dinner and have drinks on their rooftop bar. Crystal Beer Parlor is a fun casual place for lunch or dinner also. Good luck.

atlanta ga
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Just use common sense as you would in any other city

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Thanks all!! This helps. I am a foody so the restaurant suggestions are also appreciated!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Don't worry at all. Common sense rules. But I have to say that I would not recommend Vics- very high prices for very little food IMHO and we are not big eaters. You will have many, wonderful places to eat so don't get stuck on any one place you read about online IMHO again.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

I would not go to Vic's either. Noble Fare is a great fine dining restaurant. B Matthews and Belford's are both great restaurants also. There are 6/7 restaurants at City Market.

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Thanks folks! Vic's is out......

Am leaning toward Belfords or Noble Fare......any opinions on 17hundred90? Or is the one close to ZForsythe Park.....can't remember...is it the best of all? Looking for great seafood and maybe steak

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Noble Fare is more upscale than Belford's but Belford's is a fine restaurant. 1790 is a B&B and I don't know much about their restaurant. Old Pink House is a lot of fun.

The Olde Pink House Restaurant @ 23 Abercorn St., Savannah, GA. 912 - 232 - 4286.

SE USA
Level Contributor
352 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

Axle, Thanks. I think you are a bit of a foody? The plan definitely includes eating at The Old Pink House, probably more than once!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Savannah - single woman traveling alone

I had to put in my two cents as a lover of the City of Savannah and one who has traveled with just a couple of women in the City. We have always felt safe and walked at all times of day and night through the downtown area.

As others and you have already stated, you have to watch your surroundings. I've never felt uncomfortable.

The City Market is fun with lots to do and see. Usually live music in the late afternoons/evenings on the weekends. Walk back along Congress Street (right past Lady & Sons) to find all kinds of places and Broughton is the shopping area that has all kinds of options. For the best greasy burger anywhere try D&B Burgers. The SCAD students fill the place as well locals so that tells you it is great!

We will be riding motorcycles from Daytona this weekend with friends. We try to get there at least once or twice a year. I love this city and we are in a for a beautiful weekend. I believe we should see azaleas and flowering trees in full bloom as well.

One of the things I hate is that you can only eat so much! I love to eat a little something at a bunch of places. So many delicious things to try.

You will LOVE your visit and be planning your next one before you even leave. Have a ball and safe travels!