We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantations Open to Public

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Plantations Open to Public

I'm getting very excited now........just 4 days til we arrive in Savannah!

Does anyone know if there are tours of plantations available nearby? My husband and I took several of these tours when we visited New Orleans a few years ago, and really enjoyed the history.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Wormsloe is near town but there is not much left there to see. The drive in to it is in lots of photos, oaks draped in from both sides, beautiful.

We went to one up near Charleston years ago, it was nice, huge gardens, if you want the name I'll try to find it.

Went to another south of here down I-95 state run, used to be a rice plantation, can't remember thae name of that one either.

My how helpful!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantations Open to Public

There aren't really any plantations left in Savannah. The two that Brian was thinking about were probably Magnolia Place and Middleton Plantation on the way to Charleston. It would be worth a day's trip to see them.

Central Illinois
Level Contributor
42 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Thanks, guys! I knew you'd come through for me! I'm sure we'll find PLENTY to do right there in town, so won't need to drive out. We're excited to see the weather forcast is for the 70's down there while we're there!! I can shed my winter parka for a few days!!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Have some light rain wear with you. This time of year, when it gets into the 70's we usually get a little rain. Not big thunderstorms though.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Wormsloe Historic Site is the only plantation open to the public near Savannah, and even then there are limitations. The house is still occupied by descendants of the founding family and it's not open to the public. The extensive grounds are open for hiking. The trails are vast, and one leads visitors to the ruins of the original tabby house near the river. There's also a small museum & video presentation at Wormsloe's visitors center. The main drive into Wormsloe is 1.5 miles long, planted with hundred year old live oaks, more than anything you may have seen near New Orleans. Bring a camera for spectacular photos...and keep your eye open for deer which are abundant on the property. Wormsloe is on the Isle of Hope, about 8 miles SE of the old city of SAvannah but still within the city address. Closed Mondays.

South of Savannah on old Hwy. 17, just below Darien, Ga. is a restored rice plantation/interpretive site called Hofwyl. The drive on 17 is worth it.

We used to have many rice & indigo plantations along the Savannah River but the Yankees, courtesy of Gen. Sherman burned them in 1865.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Hofwyl and Magnolia those are the two I was talking about. Thanks :)>

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantations Open to Public

check these out:

http://www.magnoliaplantation.com/

http://www.middletonplace.org/

http://gastateparks.org/info/hofwyl/

If you go to Hofwyl pn Hwy 17, check out Midway, Ga. The Historical Museumn and Church there are interesting. It's not very big, but it's an old home that has been restored and furnished. The rooms and furniture look almost as if they were made for a playhouse. It is said that the people that settled in that area were extremely short. A man that was 5'4" was considered TALL. Women seldom made 5'. Also check out the cemetery that's across Hwy 17.

indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantations Open to Public

I will be in Savannah on Dec 3 and I also am trying to find Plantations. Please share if you get some. We are also doing the haunted tours.

CG

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantations Open to Public

What is it that you would expect to find at a "Plantation?" Something like Tara from Gone With The Wind? Or maybe something like Williamsburg? I am sorry to say that there just isn't anything like that at Savannah. Savannah is a unique experience. There's nothing quite like it anywhere. The closest thing to a plantation would be Wormsloe. Perhaps if you could give us a better idea of what you want to see, we could give you more advice.

The "Plantations" over on Hilton Head are areas of commercial and residential development and golf courses.

indiana
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Plantations Open to Public

Thank you for your response. Yes I am looking for "Gone with the Wind" Plantations. I have not found any in Savannah. We are going to do the "Haunted House Tours" so that should be fun.