We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned--wonderful time!

Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Just returned--wonderful time!

I just returned from a week���������s stay in Savannah for the first time and it was one of the best trips I���������ve ever taken. We stayed in a condo rented through savannahgetaways.com and we couldn���������t have been happier with the accommodations. The condo was in the historical district and had lovely furnishings. It was really nice to have a living room, kitchen, and washer and dryer. The balcony/terrace was great for an afternoon rest or morning coffee.

We took a trolley tour through Oglethorpe Tours and it was the best! First of all, they are having a two for one ticket sale and proceeds are being donated to breast cancer research for the month of Oct. It was a slow day and the driver let us off wherever we wanted and then picked us up when we were finished. It was like having a private driver for the day!

We had lots of good meals but we really liked the Shrimp Factory, the Crystal Beer Parlor, The Crab Shack, Clary���������s, and Mary���������s Seafood and Steakhouse. The crab cake sandwich at Huey���������s was mushy, almost like a puree, but the view made up for it. We ate at Jazz���������d but were not impressed with the pseudo-industrial atmosphere and the food was just average but the service was excellent. As I live in the south, I wanted to skip the Lady and Sons and Mrs Wilkes as the food is common in these parts.

The two best house tours were the Owens Thomas house and the Andrew Low house. Both were so interesting and the guides were so informative. The antique furnishings of both houses were just incredible but we really enjoyed the lower domestic level of the Owens Thomas house.

St John the Baptist cathedral was breathtaking. Of course, all the parks are beautiful and so peaceful. I enjoyed seeing all the dog walkers and knowing that Savannah is pet friendly.

If short on time, I would skip the City Market. Nice shops to look through but way over-priced. We had an excellent lunch at Belmont���������s and I liked that they let us share a sandwich. Every meal we had except Jazz���������d and the Crab Shack served way too much food and I hated to be so wasteful.

It took 3 days for the Dolphin Magic boat tour to get enough reservations to go out but it was well worth the wait. The next time I need to remember to turn my camera on video though. It was very hard to get pictures as the dolphins dive so fast but it was truly wonderful and our guide, Michael, was informative and extremely entertaining.

The Jukebox Journey show was a surprise. We had not expected such a professional and talented cast. It was so fun and enjoyable that the 2 hours passed before we knew it.

We found everyone to be so friendly and helpful in Savannah. We did not have a single bad experience. My tip for those who are spending more than a day or two is to buy the entertainment book for $25. It���������s just loaded with ���������two for one coupons��������� and will save you quite a bit of money. Also, if you���������re going in the off season, it���������s not too difficult to find one of the free 3-hour parking spots in the side niches on the Riverwalk. We did this several times as we made many visits to that area.

We did a lot fo looking in antiques shops but actually found some bargains too. Keller's flea market was a bonanza!

We did so much but never had time for one of the ghost tours. I can���������t wait to go back!

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned--wonderful time!

Thanks for taking the time to report on your trip. I enjoyed reading what you did and where you ate. I go on Friday, and I can't wait! Two questions - where is Keller's flea market and where did you buy the entertainment booklet? Thanks again!

Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned--wonderful time!

I have no idea why characters did not show up in my first post, only boxes.

Anyhow, I am sorry to say you are hitting the exact wrong time for the entertainment book. They are no longer selling the 2005 book and the 2006 one starts in November. You might be able to post on a coupon forum and see if anyone still has one or part of one. Or try calling Savannah's Visitor Center or Chamber of Commerce and see if they can dig one up for you. It is really worth it and I plan to do this with other trips.

Keller's is right off of !-95 at the 204 exit. On Fridays the vendors are setting up so that's when you get the best selection but Sundays will have the lowest prices. I got some great deals but regret not snatching the leather bucket from the Civil War era.

I hope you have a great time!

Eatonton, Georgia
Level Contributor
179 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned--wonderful time!

Which condo did you rent from Savannahgetaways? I have been looking at their website and they seem to have a lot of good choices. Its hard for me to choose one!

Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned--wonderful time!

We had #1068 on W Liberty but I have read about a few others who enjoyed their condos too. There is one, I think the number is 1001 that has an excellent deal from Sun to Thurs for $450 but I imagine you have to book way ahead on that one. The people at savannah getaways are very friendly and they will send you a packet with info and coupons. There seem to be all price ranges so you may want to look for those that sleep the number you need and then look at price.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned--wonderful time!

Thanks so much for all the detail Yesterdayskitchens, it is hugely helpful for everyone.

I think Belford's is the place you shared a sandwhich in City Market.

Thanks again for all the info and I am sure glad you had such a good time. :)>