We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forsyth park? Good?

Bristol
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Forsyth park? Good?

Hi,

Has anyone stayed at mansion on Forsyth park? Your thoughts & opinions please...

atlanta
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

You do NOT want to use this hotel.... they have a real attitude problem...please read the message boards at Frommers.com as well as other comments made at the trip advisor website.

There are many lovely and welcoming places to stay in Savannah...try one of the bed and breakfast to get the total Savannah experience... for example, the Gastionian or Hamilton Turner are both lovely.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

The decor is over the top tacky, as in new money spent without an inkling of class. The artwork reeks of mass produced art auction finds from a middle class cruise ship. It is not Savannah.

The staff is treated rudely by management, to the point of tears which has been observed by past guests posting on these & other boards. Thus a constant turnover and with that, service which is choppy and comes with a lackadaisical attitude.

Very few of the original staff are on board from the grand opening in May 2005....the general manager, the accounting staff, housekeeping, etc...they were ALL suddenly fired this summer, removed by armed guards and have been replaced by even a more disorganized crew.

Room service is spotty and the food is WAY overpriced in the restaurant.

How do I know this? Because my husband & I chose to spend an anniversary weekend there a month ago....we thought it would be fun to do a hometown inn but boy were we wrong about The Mansion.

The Hamilton-Turner House Inn or The Foley House would have been much better.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

I would call the decor more "wacky" than "tacky" which I think is kind of fun and very "Savannah" , this whole city dances on that line in my opinion...

I don't know anything about the staff problems but I do know we have been in for drinks a number of times and had great and friendly service and the live music has been top notch.

We ate dinner there a couple weeks ago and were very pleased. The food and service were excellent but quite expensive for Savannah.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
11,711 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

I thoroughly enjoyed staying at the Eliza Thompson House. It is in a ver picturesque area and the service we received was very personalized. You should check out its website - I think it's less expensive than Forsyth - and see what you think based on teh photos. It is also closer to the squares, market area, bay street, and river street that Forsyth Park is.

Charlotte NC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

The Mansion is pretentious and overpriced. The Fron Dest Manager gets crazy quick and seems to overload on her staff when things get hectic.

The Butler Floor that has been advertised since the concept of the hotel is now not going to have butlers so you figure that one out. I guess the owners did not figure out the budget very well. First that is all your marketing is built on and now they cut the pay in half and will soon be without them.

I have stayed at the Mansion twice in the last two weeks because that is where I was set up. I will not go back for many reasons. Service, Attitude, Poor Employee Management relationships and particulary an arrogant black haired man that I did not appreciate when I overheard him with two different staff members. One story to one lady and another story to a gentleman. Same issue just different answers. Please tell me that is not who is running the place. He makes a mockery out of Savannah hospitality.

Never, Never will return to this property.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

The Mansion is the tackyist, ugliest, snottiest, most appaling place I have ever seen. The inside is a nightmare of bad art and ugly, mis-matched colors. It is about as UN-Savannah as you can possibly get. The staff is unhappy and abused by Management - none of whom are from Savannah. Aparently, they never know when they are going to be fired or screamed at.....or both.

Also, the hotel is one mile south of River Street, City Market, and most of the shops and restaurants. So it's close to NOTHING.

And it is located in a bad area. All the surrounding homes have bars on thier windows, so you do NOT want to go outside into the park at night. And, it is right behind a welfare/ low income housing complex.

So, as a Savannian, I recommend one of the historic B&B's. You will be much much happier. And it will be a real Savannah experience.

Bristol
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

Ummmm guess we won't stay here then! Thanks for your input. Planters inn looks like the favourite now.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

FYI Davthox:

I have lived two blocks from the mansion for seven years. I walk everywhere as does my son and my wife. None of us has ever been a victim of, nor seen any, nor felt in danger of, crime. We walk home from downtown in the late evening, often, safely.

In my opinion Forsyth Park is one of the best assets this city has making the Mansion quite near SOMETHING very important. Many of the buildings at or near Bull and Bay have bars on the windows and most if not all of the houses in this area have had bars on the windows since the 50's, so not really a good indicator of current crime statistics.

I am sorry you have such a low opinion of the Victorian District but I think it should be made clear that it is no more than your opinion.

I would say the same for the decor at the Mansion, I like it. I would not decorate my house like that but I find it interesting and entertaining. That's my opinion.

wilmot, wi
Level Contributor
39 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

This luxurious hotel may be a wee bit out of place but it is was one of the most comfortable places we've ever slept! We did not find anyone to be rude, in fact everyone went out of their way to open doors, answer questions and fulfill our last minute requests. Of course we could only afford to stay there one night, but it was well worth it! I wouldn't recommend staying there the entire time you're visiting Savannah, but one night in luxury while enjoying the most beautiful park in the city would be well worth it!

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Forsyth park? Good?

Thanks for the input dolly, I know they have made some management changes, it sounds as if they have improved things.