We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the Trolleys Handicap accessable?

ibe
tyler tx
2 posts
Save Topic
Are the Trolleys Handicap accessable?

Does anyone know if the Trolleys are Handicapped for Scooters and or Wheelchairs..........?

We will be staying at the Marriot downtown and taking the trolley to the riverboat cruise for dinner, but a couple of ladies have to use scooters to get around.

Does the trolley allow for that?

Thanks

IBE

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the Trolleys Handicap accessable?

Gray Line Tours and perhaps Old Town Trolley Tours have wheelchair lift-outfitted trolleys for their tours but you must call the companies first to make sure those particular vehicles will be in service on the day you'll be touring. And ask how many wheelchairs and scooters can that trolley accoimodate. Some are outfitted for only ONE.

Are you planning to take a trolley to the riverboat cruise at night ? I ask that because you mentioned "dinner" on the riverboat, and I'm assuming you mean supper. Sorry, but the trolleys do not run tours at night where they can drop you off. Pickups at the designated on-off stops for all trolleys end at 4:30p.m. daily. Also, be informed that none of the city trolley stops are close to the riverboat boarding area. There is one stop on east River Street but it's a good distance from the riverboat boarding area, and you'll have to manuever the wheelchair and scooter over a LOT of cobblestones & uneven pavement to get there. There are some paved sidewalks but it may be difficult.

Don't rely on a trolley to take you to the riverboat. Instead, call a taxi. A taxi can drop you off right at the riverboat entrance on River Sreet.

ibe
tyler tx
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the Trolleys Handicap accessable?

Thank you Dylansmom for your information.

I will try and get in touch with the coordinator of our convention that is going to be held in Savannah at the Marriot Sept 15-19-05.

All of the extras are part of the package. But there are women that are handicapped and will need transportation to and from certain events.

We hadn't heard back from them in a while, and thought I would check it out here to see if anyone knew for sure.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the Trolleys Handicap accessable?

Your convention coordinator should have made transportation arrangements a long time ago, esp. for people who are handicapped and need assistance getting to and from events.

The 3 major tour companies have sales departments to handle group transportation issues. This isn't something to plan at the last minute. Most groups plan their transportation for groups months, even a year ahead of time.

Event transportation is commonplace in Savannah where there are many groups & conventions meeting throughout the year. The companies offer everything from wheelchair-accessible trolleys, enclosed minibuses to big motorcoaches for trasnporting large groups of people. I don't know if any minibuses or motorcoaches are outfitted with wheelchair lifts. Scooters may or may not be used on a trolley with a wheelchair lift & lock-down system, depending on their configuration.