We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Savannah

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas in Savannah

I will be spending Christmas Eve and Day in Savannah (at the Azalea B and B). I've been to Savannah before, back in 2000 (before Paula Dean's restaurant moved to its big new location!) and am excited to be headed back. However, I do know that most restaurants close down for Christmas Eve and Day. It will be just me, I'm driving down from Charleston on the 24th, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to have Christmas dinner. I've heard the Pink House is open, but have read varying reviews. Presume the big hotel restraurants will be open too? Any ideas? I'm not fussy and don't need to spend bookoo bucks for dinner. I also heard that I will need to reserve way in advance, like before Thanksgiving. Will Christmas Eve be as bad? (I was kind of hoping the Crab Shack or Pearl's Elegant Pelican might be open the 24th).

I plan to spend a leisurely Christmas day re-exploring Tybee Island and seeing the cemetaries (as I did not have a car last time) after midnight mass at the cathedral, but any other suggestions welcomed. Thanks much!

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Charleston
Charleston
Coastal South Carolina, SC
The Crab Shack
The Crab Shack
4,989 Reviews
Tybee Island, GA
Tybee Island
Tybee Island
Georgia Coast, GA
Joe's Homemade Cafe
$$ - $$$, American, Cafe, Soups
Chive Sea Bar & Lounge
$$ - $$$, American, Seafood, Fusion
Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Kitty, we have indeed, messed up your post. Mea Culpa!! But, if you have patience with us, we will atone! I am sure that about the first part of December, the restaurants will be having ads about Christmas Specials. Check back about then.

One of my sons says that his idea of heaven would be one big restaurant with all the cusines of the world. He would sample and taste throughout all eternity. However, he wanted a guide for the Chinese sector. An angle that would tell him to, "Skip that, and that, and that. They all taste alike."

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmas in Savannah

Dear BrianO

Do you mean Sukara? Yes, it's good. IN addition to Sukara, Two of my very favorite Asian restaurants on Broughton Street are: Saigon - Thai & Vietnamese, Across the street from Gottlieb's- an absolutly amazing restaurant) and Seasons Asain Bistro in the old theatre next to the Marshall House. It's Pan-Asian (Malaysian, Thai, Indian, Indoneasian, and it has an awsome sushi bar). I think that they have much better sushi then Sukura.

But for just straight sushi, I always go to Sushi-Zen (Broughton & Whittaker) . I love that plave & they are open until 4 am on Friday & Saturday nights. Where else in Savannah can you get sushi at 3am? ....LOL......

I also used to love the Monkey Bar - that is of course untill she was evicted for non-payment of her lease.

Sorry KittyGal. We got completly off the topic. As you see, we all LOVE to talk here in Savannah.

Welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Broughton Street Guest House
Broughton Street Guest...
78 Reviews
Savannah, GA
The Marshall House
The Marshall House
3,146 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
2,662 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmas in Savannah

I don't mind at all! I only wish it was December already and I was there. Alas, I have to wait. As you can see, I love to gab too.

I actually make a pretty good peach cobbler (a workmate has a peach tree, even here in Californee) but the one I had at Lady and Sons was one of the best, and this (in 2000) was well before I knew who she was. I put mixed berries in my cobbler too (Trader Joe's has a good combo).

I also plan to hit a supermarket during the trip (probably several) to get the stuff we just can't find here (online ain't the same as a leisurely meander through Publix): Jim Dandy grits, White Lily flour and cornmeal (they bake up so much nicer than Gold Medal!), Dixie Crystal sugar (I lugged 10 pounds of it back from Louisiana on my last trip---it bakes nicely too), and, if I can find it, Mau****'s mustard BBQ sauce, "Carolina Gold" which I know is a hot topic elsewhere, but I won't go there at all... I may have to order Mello Joy coffee online, unless I can dash across the borders from Magnolia Springs, AL to Louisiana, but that's pushing things.

If anyone is ever planning a trip to Los Angeles, please feel free to start a thread in that forum and I will be happy to give what advice I may have....see you at Christmas!

Mentioned in this post
Lady & Sons
Lady & Sons
9,255 Reviews
Savannah, GA
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California