We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartments in Savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rohnert Park...
10 posts
Save Topic
Apartments in Savannah

Hello. I am looking for an upscale apartment complex in the Savannah area. I like Wilmington Island area, but am open to other areas. Any ideas? Thanks!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Apartments in Savannah

You see, one of the problems of saying what's a good place is that Savannah is laid out weirdly. We have a height restriction on buildings which means that the city has spread 'waaayyyy out. The metropolitan area is quite large and takes in several bedroom communities and towns. Some are great places to live. Some are not. It can be a matter of choice. And of course, Location, location, location. Where you work, go to church, what you want socially, etc. all play a part on how content you will be. Renting is a very good idea until you can really see what's best for you.

The entire Georgia school system is not the best. However, most of the schools in the Savannah-Chatham school district have gifted programs that are outstanding. We have Advanced Placement programs in the High Schools that allow the Seniors to attend the local Universities while they get their High School credits.

The schools on Wilmington Island, especially Marshpoint, are quite good. However, when you look at things like SAT scores, graduation rates, we fall near the bottom. The reasons for the low scores are complex and reflect years of problems. BUT, every year there is a gradual but very real overall improvement. We hope it continues. We turn out top notch students that can hold their own anywhere. And then we have those that just don't give a d@mn. But it's getting better. Students that have parents that care, get a excellent education.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Apartments in Savannah

And while we are on the subject of schools. Kindergarten is required before children enter 1st grade. It is part of the school system. Therefore, every effort is made to see that as many children as possible go to a pre-K program. Most of them are private. There are several in the Wilmington/whitemarsh area. Since you will be getting here in January, may I suggest that you go ahead and get your child started in pre-K where you are and continue when you get here. Then he/she will be used to the children that will be attending the same school in Kindergarten.

Rohnert Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Geez, what would I do without you guys? Thanks so much for the information! I just found out that the Colonial Grand at Whitemarsh on Johnny Mercer Blvd. will accept my five cats (rescues, every last one of them)! I guess today is my lucky day...so far! By the way, who is Johnny Mercer? I think I would like my own boulevard!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Oh My Stars and Garters!!!! Don't EVER ask that question after you reach Savannah!!! You'll be tarred and feathered. LOL

Do a google search.

I'm going out to Wilmington Island tomorrow, I'll take a look at the Colonial Grand. Right of the top of my head, I can't place it. It has to be one of the new ones. It should be a dandy location.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Oh my stars and garters?!?!?! That's a new one on me Aileen, I laughed out loud!

Johnny Mercer wrote some of the most singable, get-stuck-in -your-head songs in all history.

She's right don't ask that question after you get here, thats as bad as asking "what's a grit?"

:)>

Glad to hear about your cats btw.

Rohnert Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Since we are on the subject of sticking one's foot in one's mouth...how are liberal, live and let live, red-headed vegetarians looked upon there in the deep south? LOL

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Apartments in Savannah

It's pretty much live and let live. The red hair should be an asset. Lots of vegetarians. My daughter-in-law is one.

We have been voting Republican in Presidential elections, Democratic in the Senate and House, both in State and Local races. You will be surprised at how very liberal some of the conservatives are. I think it has more to do with who the person is than what party he/she belongs to.

What seems to upset folks the most are the loud mouthed whatevers.

There are at least four classes of Savannahians.....1.Newbies, (that's you) 2. those that have been here for years and are settled in, 3. those that were born here and wouldn't leave, (that's me) 4. those whose folks lived here before the Revolutionary War. ( I know some of them. Some of them are nice.) and then there are those that have moved here and are happy to tell us how lucky we are that they moved here. We usually call them something behind their backs.

How well a person fits in, or is very unhappy is usually up to that person. I have always felt that those that aren't happy usually weren't happy before they moved here. Of course, the heat does really get to some and I don't blame them for hating the place. I hate the climate too. But I love the place.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Apartments in Savannah

I used to see a bumper sticker all the time on construction sites "I don't give a d*** how you did it up north" (it wouldn't let me use that word, isn't that nice?) That is what Aileen is talking about. People come here and things are done differently, slower, more personal I think, so they think they need to fix it. Wrong! Those are what people I know call "yankees" and everyone(almost) hates them. Savannah people say "hey" or at least nod to anyone who's eye they catch and will chat with complete strangers in the grocery store. The pace is slower.

The term "up north" is indicative of the Savanah way of thinking, if there was a news story and it wasn't in GA, maybe SC then it was "somewhere up north". There is Savannah, then there is the rest of the country, one zone, called up north.

Be nice, slow down a little, you will love it here and we will be glad to have you.

:)>

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
19. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Oh my, Let's hope Brian and I don't start you off wrong. It's just that we have become very popular for rich (at least in their own minds) retirees. They don't understand why we don't like to bustle about during the hot summers. It usually takes them a few years to figure out why. Some never learn. They come down expecting the South to be full of slow-witted, poorly educated, bigots that need enlightning. We tend to resent the condesending mannerisms of these poor folks. Some are in dire need of an attitude adjustment. That 'Take Charge' kind of personality goes over like a lead balloon. And they seldom have a clue as to what the problem is. It's all the Savannahians fault!

They do a lot a bragging about what they do for the community, volunteer work,etc. What they don't know is that all that work got done before they came by Savannahians. Now, we can spend our time playing bridge while they do the grunt work. I exaggerate of course. The Newcomers to our fair city are most welcome. They are treasured people. We would miss them if they weren't here. Most are a vital part of our community.

Take care of yourselves and the kitties. (we like animals here too.)

Aileen

Rohnert Park...
10 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Apartments in Savannah

Thank you both. :)