We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retiring in Georgia

Marblehead
Level Contributor
53 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Retiring in Georgia

My husband and I are thinking of retiring in Georgia in 5 years. Cany anyone recommend some up and coming areas near Savannah within one hour's drive to the ocean? What about Richmond Hill?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Retiring in Georgia

I have friends who grew up in Richmond Hill and still live there. It is a rather tightly-knit community with a lot of small-town appeal. Family ties are pretty close. There's been a good bit of new construction in that area, too, so the area is growing. From what little time I have spent there, it's a nice community with good access to the water. You might also look into Hinesville.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retiring in Georgia

Richmond Hill is nice, as is Effingham county (Rincon or Springfield)

There are a number of large new developments starting or proceeding just west of Savannah along I-16. Some are gated golf type communities others are less private. Being close to I-16 puts you a quick trip to downtown because the freeway ends right at Liberty street in the historic district. It is about 20-25 minutes from downtown to the beach so any of those developments will be less than an hour from Tybee Island.

The local paper has had a series recently on this growth west of town look on www.savannahnow.com and you should be able to read quite a bit about it.

:)>

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Retiring in Georgia

My parent's retired in Savannah and live on Wilmington Island. They love it out there because it's close to the ocean (Tybee Island's beaches are a 20 minute drive) and it's 15 minutes to downtown Savannah. Wilmington Island is a safe area (much less crime than Savannah) and is protected by Tybee Island in case a hurricane hits.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Retiring in Georgia

People love retiring to The Landings on Skidaway Island, about 12 miles southeast of the city of Savannah. The Landings is a posh gated golf & tennis community with average new home prices at around $400,000 and up.

Richmond Hill is a bedroom community 20 miles south of Savannah, in south Bryan County. It's also known as the "redneck Riviera"..."Deliverance" genes here for many of them. They don't like newcomers to get involved with its local political machine, schools, etc. It's a classic good-ole-boy, bury 'em in the woods kind of place.

The Ford Plantation at Richmond Hill is one of the east coast's most exclusive retirement & second-home sporting communities and it's in Richmond Hill. The Ford Plantation is the lily in the landfill that is Richmond Hill. There's little or no mingling between the Richmond Hill natives and the Ford landowners. Prices at Ford Plantation are well above The Landings in Savannah....it's another world behind the gates at Ford Plantation.

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Retiring in Georgia

People love retiring to The Landings on Skidaway Island, about 12 miles southeast of the city of Savannah. The Landings is a posh gated golf & tennis community with average new home prices at around $400,000 and up.

Richmond Hill is a bedroom community 20 miles south of Savannah, in south Bryan County. It's also known as the "redneck Riviera"..."Deliverance" genes here for many of them. They don't like newcomers to get involved with its local political machine, schools, etc. It's a classic good-ole-boy, bury 'em in the woods kind of place.

The Ford Plantation at Richmond Hill is one of the east coast's most exclusive retirement & second-home sporting communities and it's in Richmond Hill. The Ford Plantation is the lily in the landfill that is Richmond Hill. There's little or no mingling between the Richmond Hill natives and the Ford landowners. Prices at Ford Plantation are well above The Landings in Savannah....it's another world behind the gates at Ford Plantation.

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Retiring in Georgia

So much is going to depend on what you want to spend. Besides the Landings, there are more gated communities like Dutch Island and Long Point. There are also many very nice places outside of those gates at a lesser price.

You need to come a spend a least a week just driving around looking.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Retiring in Georgia

dylansmom:

I am sure the people of Richmond Hill would not appreciate your description of their area. I know a number of people who live there, like it and don't have anyone buried in their back yard. :(>

I am quite sure it is Tybee Island that was the original "Redneck Riviera".

Homes at the Landing start at about the $200,000 if you are not on a golf course or a pond.

Mcdonough, GA
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Retiring in Georgia

Not sure where you are from, but my husband and I just moved to Georgia from the midwest and we HATE it here.It is hard to fit in down here overall and not sure why! Worst state either of us has ever experienced. Probably just bad luck; most people are nice, but keep to themselves. (WE are very social) Have you ever spent anytime in South Carolina, perhaps Charleston or Hilton Head. I have family on Seabrook Island and it is incredible there.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Retiring in Georgia

No offense but you do live in Mcdonough! Not exactly representative of all of GA. We have found people in Savannah quite sociable, they drink a lot though! :)>

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Retiring in Georgia

Well, tracydanger, mabey it might have something to do with your attitude why you don't like it here. I moved to Georgia from New England 4 years ago. And, it's the best thing that I have ever done. I've never been happier. This is the SOUTH. There is a different culture here. You actually have to be NICE to people here. Things run at thier own pace here. This is NOT the north or the mid-west, and God willing, it never will be.

Get answers to your questions about Savannah