We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To & From Amtrak Station Savannah

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
To & From Amtrak Station Savannah

Arriving in Savannah Amtrak Station at 8.30pm. I assume a taxi will be the best (only?) option to my B&B in Historic District?

Departing a few days later to head down to Florida and leaving at 6.10am from station. How reliable are taxis if I book one for 5.00am? - don't want to be left at B&B and unable to get to station!

Also, how easy is it to get to the beach from Savannah by public transport?

Thanks in advance

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To & From Amtrak Station Savannah

A cab is probably the only way to get from the train station to the B&B. It is only about 10 minutes from downtown to the train. I would think that if you goot the B&B to set up the cab you might get better service.

There is no public transport that I know of from Savannah to the beach, I am sorry to say. Maybe someone else has a suggestion??

lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: To & From Amtrak Station Savannah

We flew to Savannah last week, and went from there to Hilton Head the next day. I had the same problem you did trying to find public transportation, until I called Low Country (Gray Line). (912-625-0551). They will take you anywhere, anytime - even the beach! The trip to Hilton Head (30+ miles one-way) was a little over $50 for two of us. They also picked us up at the airport (our hotel didn't run a shuttle).

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: To & From Amtrak Station Savannah

I think that some of the tour buses make a trip to Tybee from time to time, but I think it's just for a look around. I don't think they stay long enough for a swim or walk on the beach. You really need to rent a car for that. Then you could check out Fort Pulaski and get a view from the lighthouse. Other than those two places, there is really very little to see there. The beach isn't what you would consider a beautiful beach.

However, if money is no problem, perhaps rent a cab and driver for the day????? I don't think there is any public transportation to Tybee. also, if you were planning on swimming, there is that problem of changing clothes, etc. The Public dressing/bath house is not very nice.