We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Patty's day

Tallahassee, FL
9 posts
Save Topic
St. Patty's day

I've never been to Savannah and was wondering if St. patty's day is good as Marti Gras...however I can't find a motel to find out. Does anyone know of any? I checked "tripadvisor" and they have none listed close to all the action.

Thanks for your help...and is it really as good as New Orleans?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Patty's day

It's very different from Marti Gras. So it's hard to say if it's "as good." I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

There are numerous motels/hotels and B&B right on or very near the parade route. The main party area is down in the Historic District and on River Street.

Tallahassee, FL
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Patty's day

Thanks for your reply. Now how do we find the B&B and hotels? Expedia has them all booked. Help...Thanks

What really goes on in Savannah? What can be expected?

Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Patty's day

St. Patrick's Day in Savannah sees the country's 2nd. largest parade take place through the Historic District's streets and squares. The parade ( over 3 hours long) is wonderful and has been ongoing since 1824. The partying following the parade is not as rowdy or trashy as Mardi Gras-Bourbon Street behavior BUT River Street attracts partygoers who want to get drunk on green beer and puke in their shoes....no respectable Savnnahian would be caught dead on River Street.

Many fine B&B's and hotels are along the parade route or only a block or two away....if you want to be in the thick of the parade, check out the Hamilton-Turner House Inn on Lafayette Square, next to the Catholic cathedral. Lafayette Square is one of the greatest places to watch the parade pass by since it's earyl into the route and the TV camers are there broadasting. Also on Lafayette Square are the Suites on Lafayette, well worth checking out.

Beware that the downtown hotels inflate their rates around St. Patrick's Day... it's a dirty trick but they get away with it. Some do it because they know rooms will be trashed, etc. and by charging very high rates this might keep the rednecks & would-be vandals away. Others charge sky-high rates because they know people will pay anything to be in Savannah for St. Patrick's Day.

You can always stay in a southside Savannah chain motel and ride a shuttle bus to the parade area but to get the best experience of St. Patrick's Day in Savannah, stay in the Historic District.