We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

NY
12 posts
Save Topic
Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

Hi Folks:

I'm visiting your lovely city in early May and want your advice as to the best fried chicken in town. This is strangely and disproportionately important to me as I've lost 165lbs in the past few years and simply don't eat this, my favorite food, anymore.

HOWEVER. . . how can I come down South and not indulge?? So if I'm gonna' throw caution to the wind and break one of my dietary rules, I want to make sure it's worth my while ;)

Cost is not an issue, ambiance can be sacrificed for the right crisp and spice, and believe me, I'll go to whatever part of town you suggest for the quintessential Savannah fried chicken experience.

I have read thru the posts here and seen mention of Mrs. Wilkes, 1790 (was it?), Lady and Sons, etc. More you want to add to my list? And which is your favorite, specifically for chicken?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Retroworx

An obsessed (but usually abstaining) foodie

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House. 11:00am to 2:00pm, Monday through Friday only.

Clearwater
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

I have not had it in a long time, maybe someone else can update but I remember the Pirate's House Pecan crusted chicken as being very good. Not your standard but a delicious variation.

Savannah, Ga.
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

First off, congratulations on the big loss! I agree with the Mrs. Wilkes idea, and may I add that there's so much more to be enjoyed there. The most amazing side dishes make the chicken even better. however... if you choose to indulge at night or on a weekend, I suggest Johnny Harris. It's a pretty neat and historic restaurant in Sav. Also, you can dine in the kitchen (casual) or dine in the bar or their slightly more upscale dining room. And they have seriously fine fried chicken. Get the 1/2 chicken. They have a 1/4 chicken that just leaves me wanting more. They also have great French salad dressing, house recipe. Have a great trip!

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

I'll agree with Brian on this one. Most of the menu is pretty intolerable, but Pirate's House has some pretty amazing fried chicken...especially if you ask for a little more of the honey-pecan sauce.

Lady and Sons, to me, is no better or worse than KFC.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
1,259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

while i haven't eaten at all the fine spots for fried chicken in savannah i will agree with a previous poster that the fried chicken at johnny harris was superb.

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

The Wilkes House buy small chickens, no larger than 2 lbs. They're cut up by hand, so you get some funky little pieces, such as a keel (breast meat) or short thigh, maybe 3 inches long.

Go to the back door at The Wilkes House,off the lane in back of Jones St. Ask to buy a bag of fried chicken, they will fill a paper bag and top it off with a couple of hand-rolled biscuits, for $6. None better in Savannah. The biscuits don't need butter.

Their operating hours are M-F, 11a.m. till 2p.m. This is where locals go.

The Pirates House fried chicken is OK but it comes with a heavy honey-pecan sauce to drizzle over the pieces. Some like this, others don't.

Lady and Sons fried chicken is OK, nothing to write home about.

NY
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

Thanks, all, for helping me out with this.

I'm so glad I asked because I hadn't seen Johnny Harris referenced before -- another option!

I was thinking about Pirates House for dinner one night but didn't even know they did a special chicken. Hmmm, haven't had pecan sauce on my chicken before, might have to give this a whirl as well. (What do ya' want to bet that I wind up doing fried chicken at practically every meal?! Oh lord, let's hope not. . . !)

Also first I've heard about doing the take-out at Mrs. Wilkes -- this may be perfect for me also as I'm not a very patient line-stander and the thought of fried chicken in the park (Forsyth) on a sunny day (haven't had too many of those here in NY yet) sounds heavenly! Just to be clear -- the back door at Mrs. Wilkes is where to go for the take-out or I'll have to wait in line in the front, even if I don't want to be seated?

So excited to be headed your way,

Susan

route 66
Level Contributor
728 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

Correct, the back door, an old screen door that's been there since the 60's is where you go for takeout fried chicken.

If you want to have a whole meal, skip breakfast and arrive by 10:30a.m. for the first seating at 11. In the front on W. Jones St.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

I have to agree about Mrs. Wilkes. It's definitely fried chicken you remember. However I have to disagree with a previous poster's view of Lady and Sons. The fried chicken when I was there was excellent. The snag there though is it has become something of a tourist magnet since owner Paula Deen started her series on the Food Netwrk.

Congrats on the weight loss. I myself lost 70 lbs in the last two years and I do love chicken but nowadays it's reserved for the rare special occasion. So my wife and I are looking forward to a three-day weekend in historic Dahlonega (site of the first U.S. gold rush in 1828) in the north Georgia mountains. If you ever happened to be in the north Georgia mountains, you really should check it out. Dahlonega is home to a lot of historic sites to include the Smith House (circa 1895) which houses an inn and the Smith House Restaurant. I have been eating there since I was a child (about 50 years ago) and it is the home of the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life. It's one price for all you can eat and you sit at long table with 15 to 18 other people (usually strangers) and the wait staff just keeps bringing heaping platter of meats to include fried chicken, sugar cured hame, and roast beef. They also serve platters of about a dozen locally grown fresh vegetables cooked southern style along with baskets of fresh baked breads, buttermilk biscuits, sour dough rolls and corn bread. Add to this a bottomless dessert cart with desserts baked fresh on the premises and it is a culinary experience to remember. The fun thing is that you sit down with 15+ strangers and leave there with new acquaintances, sometimes turning into good friends.

http://www.smithhouse.com/

NY
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Poll: Best Savannah Fried Chicken?

Wow, you folks are killing me with these tales of good eats -- how do any of you Southerners manage to stay fit? I'm assuming at least a 5lb gain during my one week visit, so I'm starvin' myself now, hoping to take a few pounds off before I get there. I've been on a low carb/low fat plan for months, so one of your fried chicken and biscuit meals is going to look to me like an oasis in the desert!

Thanks again for all the advice. If you see a shady character lurking around the back door at Mrs. Wilkes' in early May, that'll be me :)

-Susan