We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bike rentals in Historic District?

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
bike rentals in Historic District?

Hello all Savannah experts!

Anybody know of places that will rent bikes?

Is this a good way of getting around and seeing the area in and around the historic district?

(I'll be staying in the historic district on Bay street and at some point I'd like to head over to Forsyth Park on bike or foot.)

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bike rentals in Historic District?

You can't ride bikes on the sidewalks or through the parks and squares. Therefore, you would be handicapped in really seeing places close up.

The distance from Bay Street to Forsyth Park is only a little over one mile. Unless you have a problem walking, it's a nice stroll. The usual route is down Bull Street from Bay to the Park.

Have you seen this map?http://www.savannahgetaways.net/poi/index.cfm

Vancouver
Level Contributor
95 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bike rentals in Historic District?

Thanks very much for the info!!

The map is great; very informative.

I didn't realize that you couldn't ride bikes in the parks................oh well, I guess I'll be hiking it!

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
2,487 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: bike rentals in Historic District?

The squares are small. Only one block wide and one across. One main walkway goes north and south, the other goes east and west. Some have little narrow paths with benches. Forsyth Park is much larger, but it's still designed for walkers. That's not to say that people don't ride through there anyway, they do. It's just that bikes got to be such a problem with people trying to leisurely walk through the squares, it became a safety issue. You'll see the problem when you get here.