We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend Trip Report

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Weekend Trip Report

Hi all,

Husband and I came to Baltimore to celebrate our wedding anniversary last weekend. Thanks for all your help and suggestions - had a great time.

We stayed at Henderson's Wharf Inn. HIGHLY recommend. Read my review under "absolutely fantastic" - the place was great. The location was stellar - right at the end of Fells Road, but only a 1-2 block walk from the Fells Point scene. We loved it, it was so peaceful, clean and classy. The beds were the most comfortable ever. Just trust me and read my review!

Came in Friday night from Philly at about 8 pm. Checked into our lovely digs w/o issue. It was cold that night, but we hit the pavement and had dinner at John Steven about a block away from Henderson's. Excellent food. Husband had a shrimp, scallop and crab pasta that he would have licked the bowl had I let him. I had blackened mahi mahi topped with jumbo lump crab in a blue cheese sauce. Decadent. We split an order of Prince Edward Island mussels as an appetizer as well - the sauce was delicious. Prices were completely reasonable. Cute place, would definitely recommend and return. Had a few drinks and then went to bed, we were exhausted and stuffed!

Next morning got up, had the wonderful breakfast that the hotel provides with the cost of your room, although my hubby was not a fan of the coffee and he likes his coffee. Left and went to find him a "real" cup and ended up hanging at the Daily Grind (I think that is what it is called) in Fells Point and reading the paper and taking in the local scene until the water taxis started up to go over to Inner Harbor (11 am) - the water taxi was great - you can ride all day for $8. Walked and shopped in the Inner Harbor area, it was such a beautiful day. Went back to Fells Point in the mid afternoon for some lunch and beers at Slainte. Great place. I had their steak sandwich and it was very good. Went back to the hotel to relax and shower before dinner. Went to Boccaccio in Little Italy. Excellent food. It is expensive but worth it. I had an amazing veal dish. After dinner we went to Howl at the Moon for the rest of the evening in Power Plant Live and had a great time. I had been there before, but my husband had not and he loved it. The dueling piano players are hilarious! Took a cab back to the hotel and slept like babies, between the comfortable bed and all those drinks, we couldn't go wrong!

We actually left the next morning after breakfast for Annapolis. I had never been - hubby had - it was very classy and quaint. Shopped and then had lunch at a place called McGarvey's where I had an excellent crab cake sandwich and returned home to Philly to now work off all this past weekend's sins at the gym! We really had a great and relaxing weekend. Can't wait to return again - hopefully sooner than later!

Suzanne

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend Trip Report

Oh, I forgot - after lunch and drinks at Slainte, we roamed around Fells Point and had a couple at a place called "The Horse You Rode In On". That place is hysterical - they give you your beer in a can!!!!! It must be one of the oldest operating pubs in Fells Point and it looks like they haven't done anything with the place since the late 1800's! We had a great time - the bartender was a great guy as well.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
650 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend Trip Report

The Horse You Came In On saloon is up for sale/ auction Friday. Same guy has owned it for MANY years. We all hope that whoever buys it will keep it the same.

maryland
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend Trip Report

the newspaper is now buried in our recycling & out at the curb already..but the article about "the horse" was pretty interesting!

apparently, YES the building was a tavern for most of its 200 years...but before the current owner bought it, it was mostly white tile & he fixed it up to "look" like it would have....what'd it say, in 1972 or something like that?

been awhile since i've been there, but i do remember visiting with my now-husband back when we lived downtown in about 74.

and did you know the mystery writer margaret truman wrote a book partly based in baltimore BECAUSE of that bar? titled of course..

"the horse you came in on"

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
869 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend Trip Report

McCarthy,

Glad you had a terrific time...

I dropped a buck or two into this classic tavern...

BALTIMORE, Md. -- A former Fells Point hot spot went up for auction Thursday.

The Horse You Came In On was said to be a favorite hang out for Edgar Allen Poe, and most recently it was a haven for local musicians.

It's believed to be the oldest saloon in America, having opened in 1775.

Click here to find out more!

Howard Gerber bought historic saloon 34 years ago and named it The Horse You Came In On.

There is something about the place that keeps people coming back.

"Every night is always a fun night," said one patron.

"Comfortable is the word. It's the place where you meet all the people that you want to hang out with," said another.

But today, after 34 years of memories, Gerber decided to call it quits.

A crowd filled Thames Street in downtown Baltimore to see how would buy the Horse.

Bidding started at $1 million, and it was finally sold for $1.5 million to John Korologus, owner of the Double-T Diners around the state.

"I've known the place for quite a few years. We'll look for opportunity, and I thought we did the right thing. We'll see down the line. I hope it's the right thing," Korologus said.

He wouldn't elaborate on what he's going to do, but he said there would still be a saloon.

Gerber said he hopes Korologus will preserve the history of the saloon. There were mixed emotions for him.

"Thank the Lord. It's something you've had 34 years … I'm going to tear up," Gerber said.

Korologus should take over within 45 days. Until then, Gerber said the Horse will remain open and there will still be lots of partying with live music.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend Trip Report

Thanks for posting about the Horse You Rode In On! We stumbled across the place last weekend and had a great couple of hours in there - and we had no idea it was going up for auction.

Can't wait to visit Charm City again soon!

Suzanne

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend Trip Report

Thanks for the great trip report. It is refreshing to hear nice things about Baltimore. Slainte is one of my favorite places. I love walking over to Fells Point on a Sat or Sun winter afternoon, finding a window seat upstairs, and just people watching (while drinking a beer or two of course). You were truly lucky to visit "the Horse" before it was sold.

7. Re: Weekend Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, August 21, 2009