We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

Hi everybody. We'll be traveling down this weekend for the Red Bull Flutag at the Inner Harbor. Just wondering if it makes any difference traffic-wise when we leave (4:00 p.m. vs. 6:00 p.m.) I remember that area as being pretty congested - and most likely we'll be taking 95.

Will post review of the Wyndham when we get back. Hopefully, our stay may be a bit better than some others recently . . .

Thanks for any help!

Baltimore, MD
Level Contributor
95 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

Hi TZ Mom - I don't know where in Philly you are traveling from, but leaving the Philly area and traveling south on 95 at either 4pm or 6pm on Firday, I always find the trouble is going to be Delaware - right where 495 converges with 95 and down past the Christiana exit. Then you have to deal with the congestion at the Delaware toll even with Easy Pass. If taking 95 I think your best bet would be leaving at 6 pm because hopefully the traffic in Delaware will be lighter and then also the traffic at Baltimore' s Fort McHenry tunnel will be lighter then if you left at 4 pm and arrived in the Baltimore area at 5:30/6. Again, I don't know where you are traveling from, but in order to avoid the Delaware traffic I frequently take route 1 south to route 222 in Maryland. Make a left on route 222 and follow for a few miles and then get on I 95 south right at Perryville (the outlets)

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

Hey - thanks for the quick reply. Actually, we're leaving from near Mt. Laurel, NJ area, but I always say Philly since more people know where Philly is.

Getting down to the Delaware Memorial Bridge (my parents live in Bear) + that God-awful congestion onto 495 (or whatever that "big" road is), well, whatever time we choose, I guess we're bound to hit some traffic. I'd rather have it be up here where I know where I am vs. down there since I tend to get lost easily.

Hopefully, it won't be too bad wherever it is.

Thank you again - I appreciate the time.

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
951 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

Well - we made it. Left on Friday afternoon from Mt. Laurel around 4:00 p.m. Traffic wasn't TOO bad getting on to 95 S. I expected bumper to bumper here & there & got it.

What I didn't expect was a construction traffic jam which cost us about an hour on 95, then having to drive in the city in the dark. Coming back, we were "lucky" enough to sit in traffic for 2.5 hours from somewhere in Maryland to just past the Delaware University exit. Lanes were down to 2 (from 4) for the "phantom" construction workers (not a one in sight, on a Sunday afternoon.) Whoever the Einstein was who planned this one needs to be fired.

Postives of the w/e were the Red Bull Flutag and beautiful weather on Saturday and didn't have to endure the Eagles loss to the Bucs live.

Really like the area though - had a lot of laughs/fun.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

To avoid the perpetual delays at the MD/Delaware border, simply take exit 109 in Maryland northbound for a few miles into Delaware, take a right onto Delaware 2/4, then another right onto DE 896 and you'll pick up 95 again on the other side of the border/tollbooth. You'll be way ahead of the traffic...not to mention $3 richer.

Headed southbound, simply reverse the process.

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
600 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

There will be construction there at the896 exit on 95S for a while. It is a mess. Our roads are always a mess here in DE! Construction of some sort all the time and our roads are over crowded!

6. Re: Traffic from Philly area to Inner Harbor on Friday?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 25, 2009