We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in the right area

Which Baltimore hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Hotel in the right area

We will be coming to Baltimore from Scotland early next year to join a cruise. We are hoping to spend some time there before and after, but we would like to book a nice hotel (does not have to be fancy or posh) not far from where the cruise will set off and dis-embark. Would be very obliged if someone could point us in the right direction. Also we would like to visit D.C while we are there what would be the best way to do this using public transportation.

Regards

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,001 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in the right area

Well most of the chain hotels (Hampton Inn, Courtyard Marriott, Holiday Inn Express) would be reasonably priced. Just stay near the Inner Harbor or near the Stadium areas. This tends to be the better area. Check out those websites and see what they have available for your dates. You might not want to stay near the airport, it's a little too far away from the city area of Baltimore and near where the cruise ships let you on and off.

-As far as "public" transportation to DC the Amtrak/Marc train is the most valuable option. You could do Greyhound (but I don't recommend this).

If you are coming during the week (Monday-Friday) the Marc train runs about every 40 minutes (I think) and it takes you to Downtown DC (Union Station). But it can be very crowded during those times from the Workers going to work. If it's on the weekend when you want to come into DC, Amtrak will run you about $59.00 p/p but they usually have discounts with extra passengers riding free, and senior discounts if you are over 62 years of age. It's about a 45 minute trip from Baltimore.

If you need further assistance please ask?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
653 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in the right area

Since you are coming for a short time and want to stay near where your ship is docking , I would recommend staying right in the waterfront Inner Harbor area. Pricier- Hyatt Regency, The Renassiance,Harbor Court,Marriott, Sheraton. Less costly- Holiday Inn on Lombard St, Days Inn. All of these are walkable to the local attractions and restaurants and things you might want to see and visit during your stay. Also the MARC train stop is also right there as the prev writer stated. It would be about a 30 min ride from there into Washington DC Union Station.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
130 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in the right area

I agree that the MARC train is the best way to get to DC is you're travelling on a weekday. There are two MARC stations in Baltimore. Camden (next to the baseball stadium) is more convenient to downtown hotels but trains basically only run during morning and afternoon/evening rush hours. Penn Station is 2-3 km north of downtown but trains run from about 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. each way. It's easy enough to get there from downtown - 3, 11, or 31 bus north on Charles Street. Below is a link with the MARC schedules.

http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in the right area

Anga, I wish the MARC train could get me between Baltimore and Washington in 30 minutes, but unfortunately it's an hour or a bit more from either Penn Station or Camden Station.

Still "doable" as a day trip, and I would take the Penn line over the Camden if there was an option. Even though it's a little harder to get to Penn Station from downtown hotels, the train cars are newer and the train makes fewer stops between Baltimore and DC.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
653 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel in the right area

Sorry- little miscalculation. I usually take the Halethorpe MARC station into DC and I shaved minutes off in the wrong direction. It's actually 44 min. Not too far off.

6. Re: Hotel in the right area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, August 25, 2009